Washer and Dryer

Washer and Dryer

Hi all- 

My husband and I are getting our private entrance basement furnished and set up to begin hosting people soon. We do not have a washer and dryer down there for the guests to use. We were wondering how much of a deal breaker is this for guests? What are your past experiences with this? We have laundry on the main floor of our house that we have thought about offering to guests that stay longer (traveling nurses for example) once a week. Is this something people have done and found to be successful. 

This is all completely new to us and we would appreciate any feedback and guidance! Thank you! 

- Brittany M. 

13 Replies 13
Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

Hi @Brittany401

We have a small guest house on our property that we have had on AirBnB for a little over a year now. There is no place to even put a washer or dryer. We have never had any guest ask for any laundry. We have put the nearest laundry in an info book, but since most people only stay a few days, I am sure they do not use a laundromat, they just take their laundry home with them. We only get people for the weekend, mostly, and we like it that way. If you are expecting long term renters, and have plenty of room, you might benefit from laundry equipment, but I do not think it is required at all.

Ted & Chris

We are in a similar situation with you and Ted, we have a small cottage that doesn't have a washer and dryer. We have a minimum of 3 nights and maximum of 7 nights on our rules so for most people they can do without washing but if someone ever asks we would either let them use ours if they seem friendly or point them to a laundromat nearby. We have been booked all year with no issues. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Brittany401 

I have 3 private apartments that I Airbnb with lengths of stays anywhere from 1 - 75 nights. I don't have a washer/dryer in any of them primarily because of space (there is nowhere to put them.) Given the option to add them, I am not sure I would. It is one more thing to maintain/clean. I find that guests are quicker to complain/scrutinize the amenities that you do have rather than the amenities that you don't have (washing machine ruined clothes, not working properly, dirty, out of laundry detergent, etc.) There are laundromats within a 5-10-minute drive of me and everyone seems perfectly fine with that. 

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Brittany401  I have a similar space  to yours. It doesn't occupy the whole lower level - there's a door, which I keep locked, between the guest space and my laundry/utility/storage area, and rear exit to the back yard. 

Guests have their own entrance at the front of the house.  Guest stays are between 2 and 7 days. 

I think I've only been asked if there's access to a washer/dryer one time, and I indicated it was not available for guest use.    We have two laundromats/dry cleaners within walking distance. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

same here, we don't have it bc I am sure guests would often break it like they abuse and break all other electrical appliances.  If someone asks we send them to the laundromat 2 blocks away

We lose on longer bookings because of it though. Bc of Covid we thought about instaling a washing machine in a separate room which we can lock during short stays or leave it open if we rent it to digital nomads or someone on a monthly basis.

It all depends on the type of guests and the average length of stay in your area. Is it a transit town or somewhere where people came on vacation and stay a few weeks, is there a laundromat nearby?

Andrea-and-Glenn0
Level 10
Mill Bay, Canada

Same situation here, small cottage with no washer/dryer but a very convenient laundromat close by. We also communicate that with all longer term guests (anyone over 1 week) and we advise that all bedding and towels will be refreshed and changed over every 7 days. We even offer to perform the bedding changeover if the guest prefers, but most guests simply accept the new bedding and do it themselves. 

We've had had quite a few longer stays and have never had an issue with no washer/dryer. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Brittany401   For your longer term guests, changing over the linens and towels once a week would ensure that things are kept clean.  As to the personal laundry of the guest, make sure that they know where the closest laundromat is.  If no nearby laundromat is available, you can offer the guest use of the washer and dryer, but be aware that they will do multiple loads, every day, and it will be hard to limit them.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Brittany401  I wouldn't put in a washer/dryer even if I had the room.  As others have said, it is one more thing to be scrutinized, abused and possibly broken. 

Willene1
Level 9
Kaleden, Canada

#

Willene1
Level 9
Kaleden, Canada

@Brittany401  We did install a washer in our suite which a few people with families use.  We were going to add a dryer this year but changed my mind as currently all of our guests arrive in the summer so we provide drying racks, one outside & one inside. Usually dries faster than a dryer in the summer anyway.   I realized that if we did provide a dryer, I’m pretty certain most guests would do all their laundry before heading home (I probably would). However having to hang them to dry takes away that temptation as it’s not as convenient (and the cost of running that dryer often).

I also find that having a 2nd washer downstairs handy for washing the beach towels and robes we provide. Speeds up the laundry time for me.
Prior to adding the washer, I only once offered a very young family to do their laundry for them as they were only halfway through their journey when they checked out.  They were extremely grateful for that and it was no big deal for me to do. 
As handy as it is, I really don’t think it’s necessary, just a nice perk. 

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

Been a host for over 10 years with no washer dryer offered. Never been an issue. However, I don’t rent the house for more than 2 weeks at a time. If I offered the hime for longer terms then I would want to offer a washer and dryer 

We just hosted our second group of guests and atm we do not have a washer and dryer available.  We do however let the guests know that there is a laundromat right across the street which seems to be fine.  Especially for those that only stay for 2 or 3 days. 

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

We have a washer and dryer available in our rental home. We are open to children and pets, and have a pond and extensive (sometimes muddy) grounds. Our location is more rural, and a laundromat is not nearby.