Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Welcome to the New to Hosting board! Introduce yourself here

484779-GettyImages-681893691-ForYou.jpg

Hiya,

A warm welcome to the Community Center. 

This discussion is for introducing yourself to your fellow Airbnb Community Center members, as well as welcoming and learning about other newcomers too!

I can't wait to get to know each of you individually, so to kick off here's a little about me!

• I'm a native British who's born and raised in Rugby, the place where the sport was created. I, however, am terrible at the game.
  • Speaking of games, I am an avid console, PC and mobile gamer. Game of choice is currently Monster Hunter Rise.
  • I've not hosted myself but have been a Guest around some of the most scenic pockets of Britain.
  • I am a huge animal lover. I currently have a pet cat called Ichigo.

How about you? Share where your listing is and one fun fact about it!

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. 

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

View Best Answer in original post

425 Replies 425

I received two separate reservations under the same name Amanda. Is that a warning sign? 

Hi @Stephanie 

I'm new to hosting and a little overwhelmed but excited, too. My place is nestled in the spiritual vortex of Ojai, CA...a mecca for yogis, wellness experts, hikers, film stars, and music mavens. The unique feature of my property is that it is an homage to my husband, a figurative sculptor, and daughter Wendy, a pastel painter and recording artist. Every room in the 4BR house looks like a gallery...but with comfortable chairs and lovely beds. There's even a fully equipped studio and office workspace to keep the creative process going during your vacation. Please take a look at the MaHarry Studio HouseiqXTtZGyT02R89ODHgS%Qw.jpg and let me know what you think: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/52796967?preview_for_ml=true&source_impression_id=p3_1636409360_iNp1PdU...

Looking forward to seeing more of my fellow hosts' properties in my travels.

Best,

Sharon

Sharon S MaHarry

@Sharon1378  Your listing is lovely.

Two things: You haven't described the space at all. You need to describe the layout of the house, the surroundings. 

And in your house rules check-in is  listed as flexible. That isn't a good idea. You'll have guests showing up at 9 am while the previous guests are still in residence, or showing up at 1am expecting to be able to check-in.

My check-in time is quite flexible, as I never do back-to-back bookings- I use the 1 day prep time between bookings so I don't have to rush to get the space prepared or have to deal with guests who want to show up really early or late. I list check-in as 11am to 11pm. 

And a heads-up. Settings seem to mysteriously change on their own some times, so check them often. Hosts who've had 3pm-8pm check-in time,  for instance, couldn't figure out why guests were saying they would arrive at 11am or midnight, only to realize their check-in time suddenly said flexible.

Thanks, @Sarah977 ! I'll revisit the copy about my space and definitely change that flexible thing about check-in, check-out. I really appreciate your feedback!

Best,

Sharon

Sharon S MaHarry

Hi @Kathie57,

I did try to take a look at your place, but I guess you are still a work in progress?

I had an Airbnb rental about 5 years ago that was essentially a farm stay.  It was a single log cabin set in its own field underneath a huge walnut tree.

It was cosy as anything, fully fitted kitchen, enclosed WC all mains connected, and huge bed.

It was set with a field to the rear hosting the next door farm cows (who regularly escaped and pooped all over the wrap around deck of the cabin), our sheep (who regularly escaped and pooped all over the wrap around deck of the cabin), our two dogs who were far too friendly for farm dogs and of course our flock of geese who thought it was hilarious to gang together and storm the cabin door if the guests forgot to shut the farm gate between the upper and lower field.

My point is, that I spent so many nights worrying about all of the above, because I knew they would happen, and they did.

Guess what!  The guests, who were 90% from central London who had escaped to the wilds of Somerset, completely loved it.  They raved about it on their reviews.

Sadly when I listed my current caravan rental in Cornwall I lost all the amazing reviews I had form the log cabin.

But all I want to say in support is to embrace the carnage, take people back to a simpler way of life, because that is pretty much what most people dream of.

Goodluck,

Caroline

Sakari2
Level 1
Anchorage, AK

Wow, I had no idea Rugby was an actual place. I am a new host that lives in Valdez, Alaska. I bought a home in Anchorage, Alaska to raise my brothers four children. They went home at the last minute. So, I had to pay for this swanky villa on the East side.  I used Airbnb once before, It was nice. I was terrified as I furnished this place with the money I had in savings. I did not know if the Airbnb market was actually going to work for me. I mean, scary stuff to me. So, I put it on line and in 48 hours nearly booked out 5 solid weeks. I love this Airbnb forum. whoever created it, thank you.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Sakari2 ,

Yes, Rugby was invented in... Rugby! William Webb Ellis picked up the ball and started running - locals often say, tongue-in-cheek, that he just started cheating at football and decided it was a new game on the spot. 

Amazing story, so wonderful to hear how quickly you were booked up. I had a look at your listing and it's simply stunning! Something about that back garden shot is very British reminiscent to me. 

Thanks for the kind words about the forum - we've been going for over 5 years can you believe it! I hope you continue to enjoy using 😄

-----

Hi Stephanie + Hosts, 

I am a newbie at this so I am looking forward to learning from you experts on how to be the best host for our 'Seagull Studio'.

As a Canadian I am showcasing the best of British Columbia here on Vancouver Island.

We have airbnb'd globally as guests so now it is my turn and I am pretty excited I must admit.

I'm a Fashion Designer for women's clothing, but Interior Design and Landscape Design are my hobbies.  We built our 'forever home' during this global pandemic (not recommended) but are stoked that our lovely stuidio is finally available to receive guests. Since we just moved into our space in the spring the landscaping has not been tackled yet, so I am curious

to hear what your thoughts are on that?

Looking forward to meeting new friends here in this forum and good luck to everyone as we emerge out of Covid19 and back to giving hugs and celebrating life with family and friends.

Ciao,

Linda

Linda
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Linda3273 ,

I hope you had a wonderful Canada Day yesterday 🇨🇦! We have lots of avid green thumbed hosts here on the CC. I think your question would make a wonderful topic to share with your fellow hosts for advice. 

Why don't you go ahead and make a new topic by clicking here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/new-hosts and many more hosts will be able to see it and share their thoughts!

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Thank you Stephanie I will post and see what great suggestions come my way.

Linda

Hello Stephanie, we are colleagues. Landscaping is also enjoyable, but it doesn't give quick results like interior renovation. I am sure everything will be beautiful in your house!

Great-granddaughter of Princess Olga

Hello Linda.  I am in Sooke as well. I started my Airbnb guest suite right before the pandemic changed the world.  Because it is a separate suite(the lower floor of our home) and has a keyless entry we were able to offer isolation and social distancing.

Would love to have someone local to chat to about this business.  Feel free to check out my listing.  Sunset Dreams.  
Stay safe,

Tracy

Paula1857
Level 2
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Hello Sakari2 

I live in England and I can also confirm that Rubgy is an actual place (an old place).  I live about 30 miles away from Rugby in south Birmingham.   My understanding is that the game of rugby preceded football (and it was all about the design of the ball and then a development of rules that helped inspire the game of football) . I've been to Anchorage and other locations in Alaska so I was interested in your accommodation - I had no success accessing your listing today though.  Have you delisted it?  

I've been a  host (and guest) since 2016 with AirBnb.  I've only provided occasional accommodation over the years as it's not always convenient for me as it's part of my home (and not a separate unit) .  I've booked short term AirBnb accommodation as a guest in Europe (Spain and Sicily) so far and it's gone really well.  Getting around is easy due to train, bus and driving routes.  

Caroline1856
Level 2
United Kingdom

Hi it’s great to meet everyone. Im Caroline from Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 I’m brand new to hosting and after creating a lovely space for guests I’m now nervous I won’t get bookings or I’ve set something up wrong. Is there a way to test to ensure if someone would like to book it all goes through and I receive notification. Nerves are kicking in 😊 xx

Caroline Abbott
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Caroline1856 ,

Lovely to hear from you, my highlander neighbour! Wow your listing is lovely. I noticed you've got some dates blocked - did you get some bookings over the weekend or did you block those yourself? While I don't think we can test you getting a booking, sometimes Hosts on the CC test other things like how the listing looks or if a host gets a notification when they get a message. What you can do is make a new topic asking as such so more hosts will be able to see it and help you. You can do that by clicking here: Start conversation

Eek I can imagine how nerve wracking it must be! I was just talking to @Sakari2 who ended up being booked up quickly after jumping in - I hope you have the same future!

Thanks

-----