Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Welcome to the New to Hosting board! Introduce yourself here

484779-GettyImages-681893691-ForYou.jpg

Hiya,

A warm welcome to the Community Center. 

This discussion is for introducing yourself to your fellow Airbnb Community Center members, as well as welcoming and learning about other newcomers too!

I can't wait to get to know each of you individually, so to kick off here's a little about me!

• I'm a native British who's born and raised in Rugby, the place where the sport was created. I, however, am terrible at the game.
  • Speaking of games, I am an avid console, PC and mobile gamer. Game of choice is currently Monster Hunter Rise.
  • I've not hosted myself but have been a Guest around some of the most scenic pockets of Britain.
  • I am a huge animal lover. I currently have a pet cat called Ichigo.

How about you? Share where your listing is and one fun fact about it!

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. 

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

View Best Answer in original post

425 Replies 425
Christine3142
Level 2
Washington, NC

Hello! I just had my second guests, they left this morning. First off when they booked they booked for 3 Adults and 2 kids. (my house sleeps 6) when they arrived Friday morning at 1am. My outdoor security camera caught more than 3 Adults and 2 children entering the home. It looked like there was about 7 children and 6 adults. The next day I had asked my cleaning company to swing by and take a look and she said there is definitely more than 1 family in the house. I was a bit upset but wanted to give my guest the benefit of the doubt because after all she had 5 great reviews from other hosts. Check out time was 11am they didn't leave until 11:30am when my cleaning crew came they said the house was a disaster. They left a huge mess. Normal cleaning time is 3 hours it took them 5 hours (extra charge for this). Plus there is damage to one of the bathroom sinks. They damaged the water stopper in the sink and it appears to be broken off, also stains on the couch, etc. What can I do after the fact? I do have security camera footage and witness that my guest had way more than 6 people in my house.

heya, @Stephanie 

Thank you for the warm welcome, 

I am native indian born in West Bengal, Kolkata. I liked how you have created a forum where host can connect with each other and share there insights and experience about hosting.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Yasir18 A really warm welcome to you!

This is a great space for Hosts to connect, share, and learn from each other along the way indeed - I look forward to crossing paths in various conversations, don't hesitate to jump into any that catches your eye, or start your own. 🙂

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

I'm Adam - originally from Chicago but entering the AirBNB business in Tampa, Florida. 
Our two oldest kids are out of the house - so we're looking to use the extra space to drive income. 

Any tips? Tricks? We're listening. 

We're about to put $3500 into the house to get it ready - beds, tv's, door locks, etc. 
LLC is underway - then I'm told EIN and filing status are next.
I'm sure we're missing 100 things - maybe ya'll can help us with a few. 
We're renting 2 private rooms with access to pool and hot tub. 

Kharisma1
Level 2
East Java, Indonesia

Hi, I'm Kharisma from Jakarta, Indonesia. 

I'm new to AirBnB, I've got one listing so far and plan to put three more in the coming months.

Is there any way to find other hosts from Indonesia? Would love to chat and ask for tips 🙂

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Kharisma1!

I hope you're settling into the Community - please let us know.

If you haven't already, I recommend going here if you'd like to connect with other hosts in your area.

Take care!

-----

Carla1358
Level 2
Eugene, OR

Hi Stephanie,

I really enjoyed meeting you in person at the online Community Social last week! It was great to speak with other hosts around the world and begin to build a social network. There is always so much to learn and engage in. Thank you so much, and I look forward to our next meet up!

Maureen553
Level 2
Toms River, NJ

I am new to hosting and am a bit lost.  Looking for some guidance on posting and the best way to book a time share.

What do you mean book a time share ? 

We are Adam & Cristy - new hosts who have yet to have our first guest. We're getting everything ready at the moment - making sure the accommodations are as nice as can be.  

Our situation is unique - or at least we think so. Any feedback is appreciated.

We have (2) private rooms - that can either be rented together or separately. Both rooms have access to the kitchen, dining room, heated swimming pool and hot tub. There is parking on the street or in the driveway. 

Since we live here with our kitty - Loki - and our 19-year old Son, we'll be hosting private rooms instead of the entire house, which is a 4 Bedroom, 2 Bathroom home approximately 2200 sf. 

So far ... each of the two rooms has a Queen bed, wonderful linens, an alarm clock and smart TV that has Netflix, local basic cable and Showtime. We plan to provide towels and wash clothes, as well as some basics (shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc). 

The plan is to GO LIVE on July 1st - which is right in the middle of the summer vacation season here in sunny, Tampa, Florida.  

Since the rooms aren't ready - here's a pic of the pool and hot tub. 🙂 

Thanks in advance,

Adam & CristyPool 2.jpeg

What caught you off guard? 

What did you forget the first time out?

What lessons can you help us learn - the easy way? 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi Adam and Cristy!

Welcome to the Community Center.  Thanks for sharing your lovely pool and hot tub - they look just wonderful.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your listing when you go live.

-----

Barbara2682
Level 2
Linn Creek, MO

Hello! My name is Barbara. My husband and I manage & host a lakefront condo at The Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri .This is our first foray into short term rentals having previously managed long term rentals. They both have their challenges. But we love the rewarding aspect of making our guests stay extra special and stress free.  Lake of the Ozarks is a booming lake & resort area that has recently been experiencing a housing and rental boom.  Our area has a mixture of older/ new  condo complex's like ours, new sprawling complexes with all the bells and whistles, nostalgic and upscale resorts, luxury condos/ villas, cottages, and homes with docks everywhere.

Our unit is a small 1 bedroom/ 1 bath lakefront  unit with a private deck walk out. It can be hard to compete with all the newer fancier rentals but we go the extra mile to provide a bit of luxury on a budget. Most of our guests have been here for  couple getaways(anniversary/ birthday/ mini honeymoon) girls weekend and guys fishing trips.

We are still very confused on a lot of the business specifics and receiving conflicting information . We would love any local hosts to mentor us but can't find anyone so far. 

We are on a budget so upgrading will be  a slow process and the Condo association can be a struggle to deal with. We are learning a lot fast and have so much more  to learn. I always wanted to run a B & B and love the hospitality angle and so want to provide a wow factor without going broke since there is so much competition.  Our listing and pics are a work in progress.  Well that's enough from me. Thank you everyone. 

bluepearlsunsert.jpg

https://airbnb.com/h/thebluepearl4e

Darcy95
Level 2
Bellingham, WA

Hi I'm Darcy and have been hosting for about 6 months now.

We have two listing which AirBnB say are in Anacortes, WA due to the zip code but are really on Guemes Island, a short ferry trip from Anacortes. I've tried to make that very clear, because I have gotten some inquiries that don't book because of the confusion.

So far things have gone well, with the exception of our first month-long guest who did not follow house rules, smoked on the property, and left excessive messes, and ruined a few items. We'll be more careful with long term guests in the future, and request to do cleaning/maintenance checks during the stay.

Here's our primary listing: https://airbnb.com/h/i-am-your-huckleberry

We have another that we offer on a limited basis due to family using it. Thanks for any suggestions or advice you may have!

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Darcy95 Welcome to the Community Center! That view from your listing absolutely made my day, what a treat it must be for guests to wake up to it. 🤩

If there's anything in particular you'd like suggestions or advice on, feel free to start a conversation so others can more easily see your questions and pitch in!

Speak soon I hope, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi Stephanie,

My name is Winnie from Tanzania. I have just listed my place and i cant wait to host my first guest. 

It is in Arusha the center of tourism in Tanzania. 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/629373113620729335?adults=1&guests=1&s=39&unique_share_id=82982271-d6ef...