What are your best tips for larger listing?

Sheila187
Level 3
Mt Pleasant, MI

What are your best tips for larger listing?

Hi all,

Looking for best practices and tips on hosting a group of up to six, no kids under 12 (?) and no partying, etc.. We have 20 acres and building a new home on another part. Our current home will be converted to an AirBnB. We are superhosts for our "Tiny House in the Woods," also on property, so knowledgable in the running of our listing. However, upscaling has it's challenges and rewards, right?

What are your suggestions about what to do and not do for our "Chippewa River Lodge and Retreat Center?" Sky's the limit as we are just at the beginning of this process. Thanks in advance for your help.

9 Replies 9
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Sheila187  I wonder if calling it a "Retreat Center" will attract inquiries for large gatherings?  If you want families and groups of close friends you might reconsider that title.  Then think about what a family of five or six would have to pay to stay at a hotel and let that guide you somewhat on your pricing - high, but just under that.  Also keep in mind that comparable places probably don't have 20 private acres, so that's another justification for a higher price.  Don't allow one-night stays or bookings with less than two days of advance notice.  The one-night stays could attract a group of partiers who can just about afford the place if they pool their money, but two or more nights at a good high price will deter them.  Those are some of the things I've done with my larger house that usually gets groups of 4 to 6 people, occasionally groups of 8 or 10, and so far so good.

Excellent advice Ann. Taking notes. Would simply “Chippewa River Lodge” be enough? Also do you recommend weekly bookings? We were thinking Friday to Saturday or vice versa. With our tiny house we were booked back-to-back and finally bumped the price up and did Thursday to Sunday. It works well for us.  We found it took so much longer to clean up if even two people stayed longer than 2-3 nights. Would that be the case with the lodge. ?

@Sheila187  My places are in a region where weekly vacation bookings have been the norm for generations.  So when I joined Airbnb, I put down a 5-night minimum, just because I couldn't imagine anyone coming all this way and staying for a shorter period.  But it turns out they come for 2, 3, or 4 nights most often.  So I wouldn't stipulate weekly bookings. 

I've always had a day between bookings to make sure we have time to clean.  Sheets and towels for six or more people is a lot of dryer time, unless you do it yourself and bring them to your own house to dry while putting a fresh set in the rental.  If I get a booking for longer than 10 days I require a mid-stay housekeeping refresh, partly to keep an eye on things, partly to keep it from being a huge cleaning job at the end.  Anything longer comes with weekly cleaning.  (I pay for these cleanings rather than trying to figure out how to charge the guest.  I don't want the guest to think it's optional!)

"Chippewa River Lodge" sounds wonderful.  Does it have a view?  Is it on the water?  Is it very private?  "Super Private Chippewa River Dream House"?  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sheila187  I agree with Ann, don't use Retreat Center" in the title. It will attract bookings from event organizers putting on workshops who think they can bring 20 people (despite your 6 person max) and charge them for it.

"Peaceful retreat" could be worked in, but no "Center".

I would suggest to market towards the type of guests who would be a good fit, make it clear that the hosts live onsite,  which will discourage partiers, and clearly state that no guests not included on the booking, nor any visitors, will be admitted to the property. 

And you might have to be a little more diligent in vetting guests than you are for your tiny house.

Such wise advice Sarah. I note that many serious bookers read details such as “we live onsite.” Would you tell me a bit more about vetting? We have been so fortunate with our guests. 

@Sheila187  By vetting I mean looking at any reviews the prospective guest might have, being aware of red flags, like guests asking for discounts or for you to bend your house rules, guests sending uninformative, impolite messages, such as instead of saying something like " We just found your listing and it looks beautiful. We're real nature-lovers who like to walk and hike and explore. My husband and I would be coming with our grown daughter and son-in-law and their 4 year old", they write "What speed is the Wifi?"

If I get messages like the last example, I will write back asking them some questions to jog them into a more informative response, and if they are Airbnb newbies, might let them know that hosts like to know something about the guests, and whether they have thoroughly read through all the listing info, cancellation policy, etc. In most cases, that has illicited a better, more forthcoming  response.

And your reply to their initial message can also contain reiterating info that your max guest count is 6 and that no one else is allowed on the property. This would be especially important if they mention they have family or friends in the area. You don't want them thinking they can invite 10 more people over for a barbeque. Also remind them that all guests who will be coming need to be accounted for on the reservation- if you get a request for 2 guests when your house sleeps 6, they could be trying to get around any extra guest fee, plus you need to know how many beds to make up, etc.

And some newbie guests think they can book for 1 and bring an additional 5, just because it says up to 6.

Since you live on the property, you should not opt for self-check-in. Guests who misrepresent their intentions planning to throw a party or arrive with 15 people look for properties where they think no one will know how many are there. You can put a keypad or some other type of electronic entry on the door but don't give them the code until after you have personally checked them in.

I've also had wonderful guests in my private room listing. Never a bad one. But I know larger, stand alone homes that house more than one or two require a different approach.

Sarah. It sounds like yo don’t have automatic registration (forget the correct term). You have a text conversation with each one? 

@Sheila187  Correct. I have never used Instant Book. Because I share the home where I live and my kitchen with guests, I would never feel comfortable having a guest just be able to book without some communication first.

But you can still use a lot of those vetting suggestions even if you use IB. You just won't be able to read their past reviews first, but you can still message with them the same way I explained after they have booked, and if their communication sends up red flags, or they indicate they want to do things you don't allow, you can cancel it, stating you're uncomfortable.

Do you use Instant Book for your tiny house?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Sheila187  I'd install exterior cameras so you can keep an eye on things and try and befriend/recruit the closest neighbors to be another set of eyes.