Why are hosts not able to set age restrictions?

Answered!
Colin493
Level 1
Arizona, United States

Why are hosts not able to set age restrictions?

I fully understand that since age is a protected quality, AirBnB takes steps to not allow hosts to discriminate by age.  However, on the platform that markets itself as being flexible to however you want to host or stay, why do owners not have the ability to set age restrictions?  Yes, there are young guests that can be every bit and more respectful and great than older, however, not having the ability to screen for a reservation of 8x 18 year olds is ripe for issues.  My listing is an entire house in a quiet, family oriented neighborhood and one that I'm proud of as being a nice place to stay.  I wouldn't trust my 18 year old self in a house of this value, and I was a good kid.    

I have provided outlined, and confirmed with guests the rules,  that parties, illegal activities, etc. etc., are not tolerated, but even beyond the obvious, there's certain wisdom and experience that comes with having lived on your own.  Knowing how to treat and operate a house, knowing how to identify if something is not functioning correctly, knowing how certain things can and cannot be used, etc.  Yes, these things could happen with someone of any age, but are vastly more likely to happen with young people.  

I'm all about giving people an opportunity, and have rented to several parties that don't have any reviews because, we all start somewhere, but why I cannot reserve the right to set a minimum age for my house is beyond me, and one I just can't seem to wrap my head around.  Maybe I'm totally off base here, but it's seems very stacked against the host when my only out would be take ding for cancelling the request after I've accepted it and learned the age of the guest party.  

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

We understand that many Hosts may have the same question. 

Hence, as a reminder to the Community, Hosts can note in their listing description any applicable restrictions that are set by law, regulations, or their housing community (e.g., senior housing), but cannot set their own age restrictions or add terms or decline reservations based on age.

You can also have a look at a summary of our nondiscrimination policy for more information. 

I hope this helps!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Colin493 I totally understand your hesitation and fears about the younger generation and crowd. Of course there are some folks that just do not come with much common sense as I would say - typically I think its young folks.....now, some are just not born or taught much that's common and renting to them is a challenge no matter the age....but often with age comes some common sense or a little wisdom. I too have and have had great hesitation in booking young folks. Example: freezing cold inside cottage cause they have the A/C set to 68 degrees....wearing almost no clothes, no shoes, sleeveless shirts.....Outside is 90 degrees - very hot.. .....what do the young folks do?.....climb up and close all the A/C vents and keep the A/C running at top speed - instead of looking at the House Manual with clear instructions/ plus I told them arrow up and down as you need - too simple --- Or asking me for assistance/pushing the arrow  to turn the air warmer or off. Nope - I was really grateful that their silly/stupid move did not freeze out the entire system which would have cost $5000 at the least and probably a new system install. 

Another example: I write on the listing its not necessary to strip the beds: you have paid for this service, just leave them. Young guests - without saying we stained the sheets, ask about stripping the bed - I say "Oh, its not necessary, I will take care of it."  What do they do? Pour huge amounts of water onto the sheets/and soak the mattress - I was dumb founded with this one. It was so much it went thru the sheets/mattress protector and all. So embarrassed or something/or no common sense to say - we stained the sheets - so they did EXACTLY what I said, don't strip the bed. Now - I have written/ and don't hesitate to say any stains please put in the sink or in the shower with COLD water. Most just cover it up and leave it - out of sight -out of mind. 

So what I do is write this on my listing:

For those younger than 25 yrs old. If you message and talk with us about your trip and your plans it helps - we have made a few exceptions - sorry we can't promise but we do try.

Also, I write in the info, we reserve the right to ask for your ID upon arrival! I've only checked it one time -- and after that....this young fellow couldn't leave fast enough. He was planning for his hooker to show up and he told me when I asked where is she? She's at the Motel 6 - I almost fell over (that's the local crack house- drugs and hookers and super low in standards). I told this young fellow, he was most probably better off at the Motel 6 with his girlfriend! I also did ask if she was a hooker - he almost choked saying Ohhhhhh no ma'am.  This was all upon check in when he arrived without luggage, girlfriend or a jacket. 

I do not hesitate to tell all younger folks that we had a very bad experience with younger folks and they have spoiled it for most all of them. They get it and usually apologize for those young people doing stupid and tell me/promise/almost beg they will be great guests, etc. They usually are terrific guests - they know I'm extra cautious and it helps.  But, I do not rent to teenagers. I just don't - its my one rule....if teen is part of their birth age Nope. Also, I NEVER IB instant book.....never - you have no control over who can come - there's no communication necessary with IB - and I wanna start a relationship and let them know it is a real place with people that care about it and that we live in the big house in front of the property.  

If you can't tell by what they say or ask in communication if they seem mature.....I ask them their age. And the answers are very funny sometimes......"well, in 6 months I'll be 18"...."my boyfriend is 18 and I'm almost 18"...."Using my grandmothers credit card and we are 17". I do not hesitate to ask anything, and if they don't respond, or answer - I do not book, I do not decline.....!

Most important thing about being a host - ALWAYS trust your gut, intuition or whatever you call it. I promise if you have a weird feeling about a comment, or any part of it. Check it out and I go by when in doubt - I Don't. This has always been right on! Every single time! Always!

happy hosting, Clara

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Clara116   I put my age requirement in my Rental Agreement and in the House rules, as AirBnB and other platforms will not give us a checkbox.  It is: 

Guest represents himself or herself to be an adult 25 years or older who has a place of permanent residence to which he or she intends to return. Guest shall not assign this agreement or sublet the property in whole or in part. Guest must take and maintain possession of the subject property for the full lease period.

Sends a lot of people packing...and I still stay fully booked.

Colin493
Level 1
Arizona, United States

I have since added a clause in the rules to that effect, but I like your verbiage better!  Thanks!

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Lorna170 

Excellent clause. I’ll borrow it if you don’t mind.

I thought Airbnb’s policy was to refuse bookings by anyone under 25. Am I mistaken?

People under 25 are not a protected class in the USA. There are discriminatory laws (purchase of alcohol, tobacco, etc) that are considered constitutional.

Car rental agencies, hotels, etc may refuse customers under 25 so I don’t know there’s anything illegal about a host doing the same.

Fortunately we can refuse to accept children even if accompanied by adults. My insurance policy won’t cover the house if children under twelve are allowed.

@Brian2036  Yes, you are confused. 18 is the age when someone can open an account and book. The under 25 block kicks in when their algorithm detects a conglomeration of factors- entire house listing, under  25, short notice, 1 or 2 night booking, and I think some other things I can't remember. That said, I know some guests who may have been under 25, but were booking a longer stay, and not on short notice, have said they were being blocked, so who knows how it really works, or whether that's just typical Airbnb tech glitchiness.

But an 18 year old could book a private room listing, no problem. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sarah977 

Thanks again for the information.

I’m not really happy about it. I guess the bottom line is that Airbnb could discriminate against 18-year-olds, they just prefer not to.

I wouldn’t be too nervous about a 22-year-old couple without negative reviews but 18, 19, 20. . . Please take their business elsewhere.

On the other hand, at the age of 20 someone might have already spent 3 years in the Marines and be an entirely responsible individual, so I guess I should take it on a case by case basis.

@Brian2036  You do kind of have to take it on a case by case basis, and just maybe be a little more clear on cleaning and behavior expectations. I've had guests under 25 and they were all great. And some hosts report that the young guests are their preferred demographic, especially if they are the outdoorsy type as opposed to the party-hardies. They aren't particularly fussy, they're there to enjoy the area, they aren't gonna complain because they didn't like the choice of kitchen utensils or check under the furniture for dust bunnies.

take out businesses somewhere else? i’ve never met people so completely un-understanding and heartless. Many of us need roofs over our head for schooling and this is our last resort. And many of us have more class and respect for a space than you 30 year olds that don’t even arrange and stack your plates before leaving a restaurant. ridiculous.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Colin493 

After dialogue with the guest, asking questions related to their intent and age ranges, if determined to be a group of 18-25 year olds, we often demand a security deposit if up to 1000€, explaining that their group represents the highest risk in the tourism business, and so a security deposit is necessary. 

This usually scares them away, but if not, we collect the agreed security deposit through the resolution center, and give it back in cash at time of checkout (requiring signed receipt) , provided there is no damage. 

We've found this to be very effective in preventing damage, and surprisingly, the house is left in extraordinarily clean and orderly condition, even when occupied by young party animals for a week, who would otherwise have little motivation to avoid damage, spillage, smoking, or otherwise leaving the house in a disastrous state. They want their money back. 

It's the best prevention there is (aside from scaring them away in the first place). 

BTW, VRBO has an age limit setting. Ours is set for a minimum age of 30.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

One of the few benefits of our city's permit process is that they now mandate that Airbnbs can only be rented by someone 21 or older, so that automatically prevents us having to worry about 'discrimination' against 18-20 year olds.

Megan834
Level 1
Gretna, NE

I appreciate everyone's input.  We recently had a group of early 20 year olds (14 of them) stay at our rental.  I tried to check them out on their social media accounts and decided to take a risk.  We have a rental that is in a place that isn't a normal spring break spot for young adults, so that helps!  Well, we all learn from our mistakes!  This group didn't trash the whole house- which is good- but they nearly broke our hot tub and stained the carpet in multiple places and didn't abide by any of our check out instructions.  We are in the process of trying to recover extra money for their negligence!  And of course, they denied it and said they already paid the cleaning fee and its on us.  Frustrating.  Was hoping to set an age limit!  Car rental places do it- I think Airbnb needs to amend this rule, personally.  But I LOVE the tips on this page.  Thank you all for your input!

@Megan834  While I agree that a group of people that age can be a problem, as they just don't have the life experience to understand how to take good care of things or clean up properly, there  are guests of all ages who damage things, leave a mess behind them, ignore check-out instructions, and deny all responsibity.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

We understand that many Hosts may have the same question. 

Hence, as a reminder to the Community, Hosts can note in their listing description any applicable restrictions that are set by law, regulations, or their housing community (e.g., senior housing), but cannot set their own age restrictions or add terms or decline reservations based on age.

You can also have a look at a summary of our nondiscrimination policy for more information. 

I hope this helps!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines