Writing an Honest Description: What if we have very occasional planes overhead?

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

Writing an Honest Description: What if we have very occasional planes overhead?

Our listing is in a rural area, very peaceful, wooded 8 acres with a pond. Most of the time, it is very quiet. On certain days, I think when the wind changes direction, the airplanes coming in to land at the airport 15 miles away (could be more like 8 miles, as the crow flies), pass overhead.  This is not their normal, preferred flight path. Because it is a rural area, on these days, it is a total of about 5 planes, spaced throughout the day. This happens about 1 day out of 7 days on average.  

Should I mention this in the listing, to be honest? Or not mention it, since it is not happening very often? I think mentioning it gives a false impression that this happens a lot, but if I don't mention it at all, will someone be upset if they hit one of those airplane days, and they are surprised? 

Thank you for your advice. 

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I'm not sure, five in a day seems a lot for a rural area.

Are they high and quiet?

We have the odd biplane puttering over and about every six months a fighter jet, low and loud - ZOOM!

I've never thought to mention it.

Jenny349
Level 10
Bordeaux, France

I can‘t find any info as to where you’re located @Linda3345 ! Which country? Is it a big international airport? What type of traffic do you get? Small? Large? Low flying? 5 aircraft in a day, one day a week (perhaps) doesn’t sound like too much to worry about, but only you can really be the judge of that. Maybe wait and see if anyone brings it up as an issue? If so, you’ll obviously need to flag it very clearly. Your call! 😊

In the US. Very small regional airport. Only one airline services this airport. I did more research and found out that at the most, there are 3 planes per day, and that would be only on days when the prevailing winds are not in their normal pattern. Also, 2 of those flights would be at times when renters are likely to not even be at the house, but out exploring.  And, we're really not that close to the airport, so it's not like they are extremely low. 

I think that Jenny's idea to wait and see if anyone brings it up, is a good plan. I tend to overthink everything!   

Thank you for your insights. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Linda3345   My property is in a rural area 16 miles from the regional airport.  Like you, there are times when the wind changes force the planes to change their flight path and fly overhead, or helicopters and other small planes are buzzing around.  Unless you are talking about being in the jet path and the noise makes the windows shake and you can't hear yourself speak, let it go.