Your best tips for creating a guest-friendly space

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your best tips for creating a guest-friendly space

Liv_0-1622028067768.png

Hi everyone,

Much like anything, hosting knowledge and experience comes with practice. When you’re just starting out as a new host, it can be a bit difficult to know how to organise and decorate your space in a way that’s both appealing and comfortable for guests.

Whether you’re unsure about what decor style to go for or how to make a room feel decluttered and still homely, you’ve certainly come to the right place! 

The Community Centre is filled with amazing advice on how to get started - from recommended types of bedding to special touches that make guests feel welcome.

Here are just a few of the many helpful threads on the subject:

How did you create a guest-friendly space? What would you say are the basics for getting started?

Thanks,
Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

27 Replies 27
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Stephanie  great topic. Curious to hear what others say.

For us it was using easy clean fabrics and rugs. We are pet friendly so we knew that accidents might be possible. Thus we bought a big vintage leather sofa (a Harrods original that probably cost loads new but we got for a song), throw and area rugs that are stain resistant and replaced some flooring in our half finished laundry room with vintage look linoleum which is easy clean.

We didn't cheap out on mattresses but went with memory foam as we have very steep stairs and a traditional mattress with springs would have been a bear to get up there. We purchased the one with the best reviews that we could afford.

I actually had a lot of really cool original artwork in the space (we collect art) but I took it all down and replaced it with framed paintings of lower value and canvas prints. We didn't want to lose a piece worth a lot of money.

As far as furnishings in general, we went mid-level to inexpensive. We looked for durable, good looking to photograph well and easy to replace if destroyed. We spent more money on towels and did mid range bedding (bamboo, eco friendly and soft.) There were a few fun splurge pieces to elevate the feel of the space, but nothing I would cry over if destroyed.

Our biggest learning curve was the bed itself. We have had some larger guests who bent a metal bedframe upstairs. Guests that moved this bed also scratced the floor. This year we replaced with a wood bed rated to hold a lot of weight (its SOLID) and a bigger rug to protect the floor. So far no issues. 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Really nice thinking on those adjustments, @Laura2592

Also, what you said made me think that not offering to guests more than you can afford to lose really is a good rule of thumb for deciding what to purchase for the listing 😊

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Comfort and user-friendly are key. I went through the house space by space and made note of what I would need or would enjoy having if I lived there. So it’s well stocked and the beds are comfortable. It’s worth spending extra in the bed category.

I also label cupboards etc and have some signage around explaining how some things work. The spaces are largely uncluttered as far as decor and knickknacks, but there are books and plants, which add warmth and interest. Wall decor also adds to that, without adding clutter that gets in the way. All to make it feel home-y.  

Furnishings are relatively inexpensive and thus easily replaced if necessary, but comfortable, and easy clean/care. Other items in the house are along similar lines. I would never put in anything that I’d cry over or would cost me an arm and a leg to replace if it got damaged.

It’s worked, as I get many comments from guests indicating they were super comfy and felt right at home, and we get repeat stays.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 it seems that several Hosts agree that it's worth spending more when it comes to beds!

@Laura2592 mentioned she went for a wooden bed so she can safely host guest of all sizes, but I'm curious to know whether you have other reasons, apart from that one, for paying extra attention to the bed category. 😊  It would be great to hear more about your insights on this.

@Liv it’s all about the mattress. Although everyone will have their individual preference as far as firm/soft etc, if you strive for somewhere in the middle, soft and plush on top, yet supportive underneath, you’ll cover most bases. Most guests of course will only be sleeping on the mattress short term. I also have bedbug mattress and box spring covers, as well as a plush, easy to remove and wash waterproof mattress pad/protector on top of that, so everything stays pristinely clean. Cleanliness is so important to instill a further sense of comfort.

Give a guest a good night’s sleep and everything else will fall into place .

Hi. I am new to hosting but have been a guest more times than I can count. If you are having a crappy vacation due to the people you are with you can at least get a good night sleep and start fresh the next day. I stayed in a Florida condo last year and the mattress had a giant hole in the middle and the pillows were like flat rocks. That is the only thing I remember about that place! I left 2 days early because I was so physically and emotionally exhausted!

Don-and-Sandy0
Level 3
Pennsylvania, United States

I labeled the light switches so guests can effortlessly distinguish what the switch is for. The outdoor light switches are lighted, so guests will remember they are on. Also, we have plenty of hooks for hanging purses in the closets, in the bathrooms for towels and robes, and near the back and front door for towels and coats. We have phone charger outlets in the bathrooms and kitchen. My fav review was from a guest that noted every room had special touches. Sometimes it's the little things that make a difference.

@Don-and-Sandy0 yes phone chargers, another important feature that is frequently forgotten, but extremely helpful

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Don-and-Sandy0 @Michelle1851 

The phone charger outlets is such a good idea! I'm sure guests must appreciate it - especially the forgetful ones who forget to pack the charger.

@Don-and-Sandy0 We couldn't agree more with the phone charger idea. We have both Android and Apple ones and we also had USB plugs installed in both bedrooms and added a Wi-Fi extender in the main corridor, which ensures a good connection no matter where you are in the house. Many guests have commented on these "little touches," which always pleases us when we hear it.

Jennifer715
Level 3
Lafayette, CA

Like another host mentioned, I went into each room and observed from the eyes of a guest - what are the extra touches that I would want in a room.  That answer was clearly wall phone chargers and extra Android and iphone cables which I provide in every room.  Adding fresh fruit, instant oatmeal, half n half, coffee and tea, etc. to my kitchenette is icing on the cake.  We too use foam bed toppers and the guests love them.  Our décor is tasteful and not over the top as we realize it might need to be replaced if damaged (i.e. Home Goods).  I try and replace the towels as soon as they start to lose their softness.

Sandi14
Level 5
Surf City, NC

We include a bottle of wine and a hand written welcome note, and try to mention something special about their upcoming trip. We replace towels and bedding yearly or whenever it gets any sort of stain (make up is the worst!!!) and while I really wanted to keep crisp white sheets on the beds, I opted for fun prints in our beach house because it did cover any little marks or spots a little longer. I also went with a mix of colored towels, orange, teal, navy, etc, so I didn't have to worry if it all matched all the time as things went thru the wash. Especially as in the off season we did shorter day rentals and harder to turn around the laundry. 

We keep decor simple but fun and include games for rainy days, beach toys and chairs for guest use, and try to think of everything a guest might need for their stay. I tell them bring your clothes, swimsuit and flip flops, we provide the rest (including fresh coffee and restaurants on every corner).

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats at our home and guests often see and interact with them. So we make them a part of our listing. Guests often miss their own pets so we encourage them to pet or play with ours. We don't allow pets just because it creates too much chaos with more animals, but our guests love playing with ours.

Your description lets me know that a stay at your house would be the perfect summer vacation @Sandi14.  It's all the things combined with your welcoming and understanding tone that sold me!  Truly seeing through the eyes of a guest and delivering what they want and need.

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

@Stephanie 

I think the most important thing a host can do is to stay in their space periodically.  On a recent stay as a guest I noticed a huge (dip) in one of beds making it just a bit uncomfortable, otherwise the place was really nice.  At another stay as a guest things were put away in funny places making them unusable due to the inability to find them, again really comfortable stay just a little frustrating.  In my opinion if you stay overnight in your own place you would be able to prevent complaints, but then again I’m fairly new so I may have no idea what I’m talking about:)