cancelation due to covid19

cancelation due to covid19

Dear members,

I'm new as host on Air BnB and I'm not sure what to do in this situation.

We have our cancelation policy set as strict. We had a reservation made on 23/02 for 31/3-5/04 . Unfortunately our guest won't be able to travel to our accommodation due to Covid19 restrictions, But I think the restrictions were in place before he made the booking.

Problem is that we had other guests interested in booking the accommodation but that one person made the reservation first.
Our policy is set as strict but our guest is asking for a full refund.

Does anybody have experience regarding this issue and what did they do in a similar situation? We want to do good for all our guests but we are not sure what we have to do in this situation.

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sam4179 In my opinion... It depends

Is it legal for you to rent to this guest for those dates? If not then I believe you should refund in full

What is Spanish law with respect to contracts that are illegal to fulfil?

Finally a fair approach, if you are legally entitled to maintain your strict cancellation policy, is to ask the guest to cancel ASAP and then tell them you will refund him to the extent you are able to re-let the space.

Alternatively the guest will tell Airbnb he has Corona Virus and they will be fully refunded!

Hi Make,

Thanks for your answer .I'm not sure about the law and I will check .

He is insisting to get the full refund when I offered him 50 procent off and he didn't agree to rebook to another date.

Sam

@Sam4179  Which jurisdiction's laws are preventing the guest from traveling - your locality, or the guest's?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If guests can't travel due to Covid lockdowns in your country or theirs Airbnb can and does offer guests full refunds under their Extenuating Circumstances policy for Covid, regardless of your cancellation policy. It has done this to me multiple times this year and last.

I would suggest you tell the guest to contact Airbnb.

if there are no lockdown restrictions in your country or theirs I would keep to your cancellation policy. 

@Sam4179