cleaning

Jessica2253
Level 2
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom

cleaning

Have I got unrealistic expectations? 🙄🤣

I host 1 room in my house and I make no restrictions to the guests and openly say they can use anything they need in the kitchen as this is self catering after all so I want people to be able to cook and not feel like they have to go out.

I do also supply a continental breakfast with the room (cereal, fruit, porridge pots) which just goes in a box that they can take up to their room to have at their leisure.

NOW:

Is it unreasonable to think people would wash their pots and pans after use and their plates/bowls?

To me, its a self catering apartment, I would ALWAYS do this.

I have had 30 guests this year and only 1 has done their own dishes, everyone else just left it all around the house where they ate? 

(PS. This can not be because they feel uncomfortable around us as we virtually never see the guests as we're out so much)

5 Replies 5
Donatella26
Level 10
Mondolfo, Italy

@Jessica2253guests need always written rules to do normal things!! It's sad bui it's the truth...

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Presumably you let guests know when you show them around they need to clean up after themselves in the kitchen?

I've  been home sharing for five years and have never had a guest not clean up after themselves in the kitchen.

add this to your house rules too @Jessica2253 

Scott1399
Level 2
Nova Scotia, Canada

Definite house rules as mentioned I have 2 simple rules to wash any dishes used and to strip beds and leave at foot of bed. I also charge $50 cleaning fee for proper cleaning as I steam clean everything afterwards. 

@Jessica2253 

You should spell it out clearly in your overview and house rules - some people don't seem to know what "self-catering" or "clean up after yourself" means. FYI, I have the following in my house rules and it's also mentioned in the listing description.

Kitchen is available to heat up or prepare simple meals - NOT for any serious cooking, frying or baking. Please keep your prep+cook time to under 1 hr and always clean up after yourself promptly after using the kitchen - clean up crumbs, drips, and spills from the kitchen counter surfaces, table, floors and do your dishes after each meal. We do not have a dishwasher so all dishes, pots, pans, utensils must be washed by hand after use. It is the guest's responsibility to determine if you are able to comply with our rules and if our home is appropriate for your needs.

Please remember this is a shared home. Do not leave dirty cups, dishes or leftover food laying around. Clean up crumbs promptly and in case of spills or drips, clean up immediately. Please DO NOT EAT IN BED.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jessica2253   Adults should clean up after themselves.  Explain this when they book, when they get the door access codes, and when you greet them.  Show them the soap, the sink and the towel.   Make your message clear (after all, you don't leave your pots or plates for them to clean, do you?)

I would also not want guests to eat in the room - sit at the table for goodness sake.