critique my listing - Therese, newbie host in Rockport, MA

critique my listing - Therese, newbie host in Rockport, MA

b13e2624-61cf-4fbd-81cf-f8927f3bfba6.jpeg

We are newbie hosts, just started this summer. So far both of our guests have not left a review, even though they both had nice comments upon departing , and one left a nice note with a few suggestions. It is now far too late for our first long stay guest to leave a review, even though I even asked them to since they were our first guest. Alas (you only have 14 days correct?).  FYI, we are not pet friendly or child friendly, we have some steep stairs that make it scary for us to host kids, and very close neighbors, so we are limiting our guests to 2 to keep peace in our very close-knit neighborhood. So please keep that in mind, we are targeting couples and two friends traveling together, no amenities for kids, so I realize we are missing out on families.  Thanks in advance for any constructive criticism. 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/50402314?source_impression_id=p3_1631585087_c%2FiHGtdc3IGyZVzV&guests=1... 

6 Replies 6

@Therese186  You're off to a great start! Your home is really beautiful, with a lot of character. I like how well the style meshes with the flavor of the region, with tasteful maritime color schemes and thoughtfully chosen vintage furniture. The descriptions are both thorough and concise - easy to read, and just the right of useful information.

And although the home could easily accommodate a group of 4, I think you've made a good choice by setting the limit at 2. That should help keep you off the radar for parties and families and allow you to host within your comfort zone. 

It sounds like you've done your research and are already aware of some of the common issues that come up with Entire Home hosting (e.g. parties, smoking). About the latter, you'll eventually get guests who ignore or forget your policy against smoking in the garden; I find that it helps to add some positive language pointing to the nearest place smokers are welcome to light up. That tends to get people's attention.

Hi Andrew, thank you so much for your thoughtful comments and input! Really appreciate you taking the time to really look at our listing! Thanks again! 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Therese186  I just looked at the photos and my only comment there is you might consider redoing them on a bright sunny day and trying photos with the lights on and off and see what works better.  The kitchen especially is lovely but the photos are a little on the dark side.

hi @Mark116 thanks that's a great idea I will try again! We did take photos on sunny day but kitchen lights have a glare because some lamps have Edison bulbs but I will try different variations, times, cameras. thank you for that advice. I need to reshoot the office too because I found some comfy chairs for another reading nook and I have a better office chair too. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Therese186  Nice place! My personal experience regarding A/C: I have a similar setup where I have an a/c window unit in each bedroom. I make note of this in the "other things to note section" but I do not list a/c under the amenity section. My logic is that if a guest is filtering their search for properties with a/c, they are going to want it and expect it (even if it is not necessary where I live) and they probably won't be the best fit for my place. Guests who find it during a heatwave are pleasantly surprised and I never get the disappointing reviews that other hosts in my area get about limited a/c. You should also make a note as to when the window unit will be available (June-August?) 

Also, your pre-booking message is great at summarizing your rules. You may want to ask why guests are coming to the area and who they are traveling with. This helps start a conversation and will give you a better feel for the stay. 

Hi @Emilia42 thank you, good idea, very true about the AC if only in one room it's not completely an amenity. I know I would rather have them have lower expectations and over deliver. Thanks for the pre booking message advice too.