how do i know a prospective guest does not have a history of theft or violence?

Elena3677
Level 2
Easthampton, MA

how do i know a prospective guest does not have a history of theft or violence?

one guest declined to send me their name and address so i could do a background check.  they had good host reviews but i am nervous unless i do my own check.  I find it hard to believe that arbnb is in any way interested in my safety.  the woman got very karen with me about it and canceled her request.  okay.  but how do i know i am safe.  i had homeless drug addicts request a staying at my house just before that.  it was easy to figure it out once i looked into them, i find it hard to believe arbnb does an adequate background check-- they aren't in any danger, i am. 

7 Replies 7
Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Elena3677 Unfortunately Airbnb only requires an email and phone number. I have come across quite a few profiles that have very obvious fake names. Ex a recent guest identified as DJ Echoz. Obviously that was a stage name, but it goes to show Airbnb didn't even have a requirement for his real name to be submitted.

That being said we as host have to do our due diligence in filtering potential bad apples. Past reviews provide some indication of a guests behaviors when renting.  Personally I require guest to submit a government ID to be verified through Airbnb.  Although an ID does not define their character, it gives me some comfort knowing they are who they list themselves to be, and not trying to present under an alias. 

As for background checks, its at the guests' discretion to consent to providing the necessary information for it to be completed. I can see both sides. as a host we want to feel safe allowing a stranger into our property, but as a guest it might feel like an invasion of their privacy to submit to a more invasive screening for the purpose of a short term rental.  

In the end , I would at a minimum expect the guest to provide a full name, for themselves, and those in their party. With a full name you could likely do a basic search. Depending on your location, a lot of records are public. If she is declining to do that, I would see that as an issue. It might be best that she cancelled. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Elena3677 

I think Airbnb do background checks on host, I saw a post on FB a couple of weeks ago were they closed down a host account because the guy had a DUI conviction I think Im right in saying it was in America,

Good thing for us here in Thailand we need all their details and passports it is the law, 

Only once did we have trouble with a American woman who was refusing to show us her passport, 

I said to her you have 2 choices, you can either show it to me or show it to the immigration and Im not letting you into the property, Her first time in Thailand and she's trying to tell me the laws here, she was hard work.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Elena3677 Yes , a certain contingent of guests actually believe that you have gone to all the trouble of setting up an Airbnb to steal their IDS. They are not worth mucking around with but generally the ones who object have other reasons and you asking has made them suddenLy decide they will not travel ? I dont think so . We ask for ID and make it clear that we want to know who will be staying in our house at all times ,both for their safety and ours and thatwe do not have acess to any ID supplied to the 'booking site' or to any credit card info as we receive no payment until the stay has commenced and that we are not only the host but also the owner and if there is anything else they would like to know about our rules then please read them or we are happy to tell them .My goodness they have already agreed when booking ?H

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Elena3677   Your house, your rules.  A lot of people on booking sites think that they are able to rent your house when they cannot rent a hotel room.  Anyone who does not care to tell me who they are, why they want to stay and who is going to be with them does not need to be in my property.

AirBnB and the other OTAs do NOT really vet guests.  All they want is a valid credit card.  It is up to us, as hosts, to decide if a particular guest will be permitted to stay.

Julie4775
Level 2
California, United States

I am also a new host , one month in, and have had guests requesting for long term stays that seem fishy.  They just signed up with Airbnb this month, have no reviews, say they're from New York but are using translation when messaging me.  They're accounts end up being suspended by Airbnb. I have some that create new names and ask me the same thing.  It's just fishy.

So, if we want to request for a copy of their photo ID or passport, name of company they work for, and to sign a lease agreement.  Does Airbnb allow that?

Pam1882
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

My vacation rental is housed on another site, but accessible to ABNB. Is there a way for me to look at a person's profile? We recently had someone book (through a different site) and ... well... it was not the most pleasant experience! But after our payment came through it was returned due to: "Fraud"! I would love to have been able to see this person's profile before letting him and his guests into my home! Is there any way? Thanks!

@Pam1882 not really , that is to avoid discrimination.If you do not use IB then people say it is easier at least to communicate with your guest before they book and before you accept their reservation. I do IB and still manage to ask for clarification of ID after the guests pic and phone number appears. I do not host single night stays because this does tend to encourage a type of guest that I do not want. communicate via messaging as soon as the guest books and then again a few days before they arrive and also on the day of arrival . H