messaging in Airbnb app

Answered!
Erik1434
Level 2
Methuen, MA

messaging in Airbnb app

Hi All,

I'm brand new here. I just listed my condo a little over a week ago and I already have 10 reservations. I had no idea my place would rent so quick, its a bit overwhelming! Anyway about messaging. I get the same texts on my phone that I see on the Airbnb app, but if I message a guest through airbnb do they also get a text message on their phone or do they have to log in to Airbnb? I've messaged a couple guests via Airbnb about check-ins and haven't heard back so I'm wondering if I should text directly to their phone?

Thanks

Erik

2 Best Answers
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

It depends on how the guests set up their notifications in the app, @Erik1434 . Some will have to log in to Airbnb to see their messages, and some, like you and me, have set our notifications to include SMS so we don't miss anything. 

I only ever text a guest if they are not answering through the platform and the answer I need is so very important that it will impact their stay. I tend to "threaten" this first, which often works in itself. Something like, "I really need to know, so if I don't hear from you by 5, I will have to text you. Hope that's okay!" 

You could try that. 

View Best Answer in original post

Thank you! Great advice...

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

It depends on how the guests set up their notifications in the app, @Erik1434 . Some will have to log in to Airbnb to see their messages, and some, like you and me, have set our notifications to include SMS so we don't miss anything. 

I only ever text a guest if they are not answering through the platform and the answer I need is so very important that it will impact their stay. I tend to "threaten" this first, which often works in itself. Something like, "I really need to know, so if I don't hear from you by 5, I will have to text you. Hope that's okay!" 

You could try that. 

Thank you! Great advice...

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Erik1434  Good advice from @Lawrene0

I always caution hosts to keep communication in the AirBnB messaging system whenever possible. That way there's a record of everything that's been said and done. Once you text a guest, it opens the door to outside communication, and if you ever run in to problems, that can be a complicating factor. 

When I have upcoming reservations, and the communication has been erratic- like it seems that they are waiting to respond until they get to a computer- sometimes I include a gentle prompt in my messaging to try to get them to use the app. Something like, "I keep all communication on the AirBnB platform, so if we need to communicate during your stay, please make sure you have notifications activated so you'll be able to receive messages." You can generally tell my their communication patterns if they do or don't. 

I've had some older guests who struggled with the app, and it did cause problems with messages. 

Good luck with your hosting! Kia