seattle STR questions.

Jun1005
Level 2
Seattle, WA

seattle STR questions.

hello,  I'm looking to start the process of renting STR's in seattle.  I'm reading that seattle limits STR properties to just 2 and one of them has to be a primary residence.  how do I go about living in a third location and renting out two STR's at once?  can I keep one of the STR's as my primary address but not live in It?  I'm still researching and learning about renting out in Seattle so any help is greatly appreciated!

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You don't @Jun1005 

You abide by the regulations if you want to operate legally. 

Then why do i see hosts in seattle have two STR’s (entire place) available at the same time? 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Ah yes @Jun1005 . I tried the defence that everyone was doing it when stopped for speeding. It really didn't go down well with the authorities.

It just doesnt make sense to me why the law states this if its not forced.  

Some may be grandfathered in before the law (true in our city) and others may be illegal. More likely is that some are the person's personal home and they vacate temporarily. That's allowed under some circumstances.

But I will caution a lot of people are starting to call authorities on illegal Airbnb's. Trying to skirt the laws must makes it hard on the people complying with the laws.

But good luck with that. I hear the fees can be outrageous when you're caught.

The consensus here - move on. You clearly just documented that you know the law. You'll have no defense if you are caught flouting it.

Ah i see, yea im def. not planning on breaking the law.  Just wanted to get some replies from people that also live in seattle to get their perspective on this.   thanks for the info! 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Jun1005 some of those listings are grandfathered in. Others are simply illegal. All it takes is one neighbor to complain. Your money I guess....