Airbnb Review System – How the world SHOULD work!

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

Airbnb Review System – How the world SHOULD work!

Can I just say, the world would be a MUCH better place if all merchants could review their customers (like we do on the Airbnb platform). 

Could you imagine?  If customers at a restaurant knew that they would be reviewed and then treated differently at other restaurants if they were jerks?  You know those horrible customers that walk into retail places and act like a-holes?  They wouldn’t even be let in if their terrible reputation proceeded them.  What a world that would be!

OK enough fantasy. . . 

I’m just here to say: I love the way we review our guests.  I appreciate that the hosts before me that are honest and call out these bad guests (it’s probably saved us a dozen headaches and even more money).  The whole concept increases the likelihood that guests will be kind, respectful, and good people – even if they’ve never stayed in an Airbnb before.  LIKE EVERYONE SHOULD IN THE FIRST PLACE!  But with this process, it probably quadruples the frequency in which guests act how they should.

33 Replies 33
Richard531
Level 10

@Huma0 You inspired a post I did on this exact subject.  Yes, 199 5-stars and a one (1) 4-star is still a 5.0.  

Same with 398 5-stars and two (2) 4-stars.  

You CAN get back to 5.0.  

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Richard531 I highly doubt the world be a much better place if all merchants had the opportunity to review guests, in fact I think it would be worse. Yours is a hyperbole comment. 

Richard531
Level 10

@Robbie54 Can you help me to understand why you have this position?  

I'm in the restaurant business as my primary gig.  If there were a way to have a guest score on patrons, I would be the very first to not allow jerks to treat my staff, my restaurant, my reputation, and ME badly, if I knew they were terrible people in the first place.  

And to that end, I just don't see how the fear of being judged by an establishment wouldn't dissuade such behavior from ever happening in the first place (or would at least reduce it considerably).  

For the vast majority of people, we'd have nothing to fear!  We are nice, good people and we don't do awful/entitled things.  

Don't get me wrong, I know that this is IMPOSSIBLE (why I said it was fantasy above).  But I'm trying to understand your point of view.  Maybe I'm wrong?  

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Richard531 my point being it would just amount to more arguments, negativity, and sometimes hostility. An example of this comes from a recent experience in a restaurant where, long story short, a relative of mine who complained (in the nicest way possible) about a meal that was missed from their order, which eventually turned up 45mins late, was abused by the waitress and owner because they didn't like being justifiably criticised. And my relative was also a regular to said restaurant. Imagine the restaurant then being able to leave a review, I shudder at the thought of what they'd write. 

It's my opinion of course, but to write the world would be a much better place if merchants could review their guests is somewhat naive.