Communicating possible issue with sliding glass door

Ben4954
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Communicating possible issue with sliding glass door

Just listed my first rental.  The sliding glass door sticks and can be hard to open at times. The condo building is replacing all the doors later this year and I’ve already tried to improve it the best I can for now. How do I address this prior to guests checking in to avoid any negative reviews about this issue?

3 Replies 3
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ben4954 

Just be honest and upfront about it. In fact, if I was you, I would not only mention it to the guest before they check in, but before they book, or even mention it in your listing if you use instant booking.

Due to recent very wet weather, my front door started to stick and I've had a real issue with this with one of my guests. Although I did mention it to her shortly before she arrived (it had been fine the previous day), I wish that I had been able to tell her in advance. The other guests and my cleaner have been able to get in and out fine, but this particular guest simply cannot open the door, no matter how many times I showed her, to the point where I just offered to refund the rest of her stay if she left as I could see it starting to blow up into a huge issue.

Funnily enough, since we agreed that she would leave, she's been able to open the door...

When communicating a possible issue with a sliding glass door, it is important to provide clear and concise information to ensure that the problem is understood and addressed effectively. Here's a sample statement you can use to communicate the issue. **[Advertisement removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Ben4954  A little WD-40 goes a long way to freeing up a sticking sliding glass door.  Spray it on the upper and lower tracks and then open and close the door several times.  Also check for any obstructions like a slightly bent track frame that may be contributing to the "sticking".

I would send a note to any guest currently booked or soon to be arriving stating that it has been noted by housekeeping that the sliding glass door is sticking (i.e., this is a recent issue) and that steps have been taken to make it easier to open prior to eventual replacement.

Sliding glass doors, windows and other openings that can be affected by weather or in need of minor maintenance do not render a place uninhabitable, IMO.