Is it possible for a host to extend guest's stay?

Answered!
Tae1
Level 1
Bangkok, Thailand

Is it possible for a host to extend guest's stay?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone guide me through the process of extending guest's stay? My guest is currently staying in my room and need additional night, how can I do this as a host?

I cannot alter the reservation in reservation page since the arrival date has already passed.

Thank you in advance 🙂
1 Best Answer

@Aimee187 I am confused as we have had many guests who have modified their dates during the stay by using the change reservation function. BUT it needs to be done before the checkout day.

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Tae1 as long as the guest hasn't check out you can still alter the reservation. Go to your messages with the guest and in the box "Confirmed blabla" you click on Change/cancel. Or you go to reservations and change from there.

You have to add the total price you yourself would be getting for their stay and explain in detail in a separate message to the guest.

Just to add to this for future host:

You need to select the "original' check in date and the "new" check out date. 

Else there will always be an error. 

Plus, the guest needs to accept the  request. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alexia40 

If you click on checkout calender first, there is no need to select the original check-in date first.

TIP 1: if you click in pricefield (before changing anything) and then just click outside pricefield, you will see what the guest in total paid for the unchanged reservation.

TIP 2: Be alert when changing a long term stay reservation, pricing is often miscalculated.

(Then enter the correct price manually in pricefield).

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

Can I change a reservation as a host?

If you need to make a change to a confirmed reservation, you can submit a change request to your guest.

This can be done by host or guest- at any time after a confirmation, as long as the trip is not over.

Regards, Christine.

Change a reservation
  1. Go to Your Reservations on airbnb.com.
  2. Click Change or Cancel next to the reservation you want to change.
  3. Choose Change Reservation.
  4. Click Submit Alteration.
  5. If the guest accepts your request, the reservation will be updated and they'll be charged or refunded if necessary. If the request is declined or you don’t receive a response, the reservation will stay the same.

There are a couple of other things to know about submitting change requests:

• Your chosen cancellation policy will apply based on the new dates.
  • If the dates of the reservation have already passed, you can’t make any changes to the reservation.
  • If you want to change the details of your requested changes, you’ll have to repeat the steps above and remove your request, and then submit a new one.
  • If you changed your pricing, the new reservation will reflect this pricing if your change request is accepted.
  • To request additional funds from your guest, you can do so directly from the Resolutions Center.

You can change the checkout date, but not the checkin date if the stay has already been associated.   In addition, if you change the checkout date AIRBNB automatically computes the new total using a differnt rate if there is a new rate after the old checkout date.   This will typiclly be the case if you are using ABNB's variable rates.   So generally, changing the checkout date is not really supported if you want to give your guest the same rate they are already paying.

@Roberto-Vega0 wrote:

You can change the checkout date, but not the checkin date if the stay has already been associated.   In addition, if you change the checkout date AIRBNB automatically computes the new total using a differnt rate if there is a new rate after the old checkout date.   This will typiclly be the case if you are using ABNB's variable rates.   So generally, changing the checkout date is not really supported if you want to give your guest the same rate they are already paying.

Hi Robert, where can I find the function to change the checkout date? I've been trying for the past day

Hi, I just had a current staying guest wanting to extend his stay beyond his confirmed reservation. I tried to follow what you have described here in 2016 but was unsuccessful in trying to extend his dates. Has the Airbnb policy/procedure changed on hosts extending guests stay?

Any help is appreciated

Here, you need to check:

1. Are the dates in your calendar available for the time period they requested?

2. Are you selecting the right listing?

If yes, you need to select the original date of check in and the new date of checkout. 

Once you both agree, the reservation will be updated.

Steve482
Level 2
Edinburg, TX

please a nuance to the question - if my guest is staying 6 months under a special offer arrangement wherein he is charged $800 and I earn $700, and he wishes to extend for an additional 6 months -  what effect does that have on the fees and earnings. If I am to set my rate for the extension how does that effect his charges?  basically we cant see the sense (cents?) of him paying $100 a month to airbnb each and every month, i.e. $1,200 for the year. 

@Steve482    If the guest is someone who has proven themselves to be someone you are happy to have in your home, and you don't think they will become a problem in the future, you can just draw up a private, legal lease contract for 6 months, nothing to do with airbnb. Just because a guest first booked through airbnb doesn't mean they have to continue to rent like that if the owner is okay with a different arrangement. 

Of course, you would then not be able to make any claims for damages or anything else to airbnb once the airbnb booking is no longer in effect.

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Steve482,

It's not uncommon for people to fall into the trap of wanting to withdraw from forwarding the legitimate fee that Airbnb is entitled to, on the basis of the agreement to which they [Hosts and Guests] signed up to. 

The fee that you are referring to works out at $3 per day.

It is not really money out of your pocket, as it is essentially money paid from your guest fees. 

It should be weighed up against the $700 that you have been able to earn via Airbnb exposure and the infrastructure that they provide.

That infrastructure includes the construction and maintenance of this website and community forum to which you have turned for advice in this matter. All constructed and maintained by a huge number of hardworking, often unseen individuals who deserved to be paid for their work.

I hope that you and others, can see the irony in this type of request to cut out your Airbnb fees. 

It's a bit like guests who say that they won't be staying in their room very much only sleeping in it....... So does that make it less valuable a service? 

Taking the risk of sidestepping your Airbnb fees to save guest money is a bit like avoiding your taxes and taking cash payments. Eventually it will turn out to have been the wrong decision. You cannot really hide this type of activity you may as well be upfront and inclusive of every person or organisation that has played a role in making the activity viable.

Apart from insurance benefits and dozens of other services I get from Airbnb, I just absolutely love that I can click on my reservations and transactions and see a complete list of everything that I have done, have coming up; and moneys recieved and paid out.

Once you start to mix it up to do someone else a favour, you miss all these benefits, and guests know that you are prepared to sell out yourself and Airbnb for them. There will be no true loyalty returned by them, as they don't respect the agency that you work with and are looking to short change them.

You each used Airbnb to find one another. Now the idea is being floated to skip payment for brokerage services rendered. 

[You are not precluded from doing business with other people who have come to you via another source, Airbnb does not require booking or brokerage and site fees for contacts outside the website. So friends, family private referrals, that's all good, nothing is due to Airbnb. They even created the facility for you to note these items on your calender.]

I assume you realise that you will most likely be in breach of your Airbnb terms of contract as this person was introduced to you via Airbnb. This leaves you vulnerable to being removed from the site with little or no notice and existing bookings may be subject to cancellation. Are you happy to take this risk?

Research this type of event on the net; re-read the details of your contract with Airbnb. Then my advice is to politely refuse, and if you still feel the need to, let the guest know that such action would jeopardize your ability to host on the Airbnb platform. Decent guests will not want to contribute to such a loss on your part. [on the other hand some guests may not care, privately they wmay calculate that you are more likely to be vulnerable to discounting since your advertising and exposure to new business has been reduced by being removed from the site] Every other site has upfront pay first fees. Consider yourself lucky that Airbnb asks for nothing until after they deliver business to your door! 

Your guests love what you do. Stay strong and stand by your current terms.

You and Airbnb are offering a great deal as it currently stands.

We are stronger together.

Best Regards, Christine

Wow!! I absolutely agree! It is a matter of integrity!!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Christine1  Airbnb does not own guests, hosts, nor their accommodations. Many hosts take bookings through other booking platforms, websites and other methods and list on Airbnb as well. If I have an airbnb guest and they end up becoming a friend, that person would be welcome to just call me or email if they wanted to come stay here again and we would work out a private arrangement. Just because that person was first introduced to me through their airbnb booking, does not mean that airbnb has the right to dictate how my relationship with that person unfolds in the future. Its like saying that if you were introduced to someone who you ended up marrying, that the person who introduced you in the first place has some kind of right to dictate how you and your husband interact.

I too have been grateful to be able to get bookings through airbnb. I have had wonderful guests and I enjoy hosting. I have flagged people and contacted support to report those who have tried to get me to give them personal information, with the intent to circumvent airbnb. I use the sysytem the way it is designed to work and I have never had to bother airbnb with any issues with a guest, payment, or anything else except a couple of tech issues on their end. Neither my guests nor I cause them any grief and they make money off of us. 

You are certainly entitled to your views on owing loyalty to airbnb forever, but the idea that airbnb somehow has the right to dictate how we interact with people after their airbnb booking has come to an end is ridiculous to me.

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Sarah977 '

Welcome to Airbnb. I hope that you continue to enjoy hosting for a very long time and it will afford you the opportunity to make friends along the way. 

Your home is your own to control and manage as you wish. Always.

I would love it if you re-read my response and notice the full range of discussion points, there is a lot that we would agree on.

Please note however that the original writer to whom I was responding @Steve482 made an enquiry about handling a guest extension, on an existing booking, via the website, where all interactions and transactions are subject to the terms and conditions of our contracts with Airbnb.

Airbnb might not own you or your home, but they do own their website and we are licenced to use it subject to terms and conditions.

So it was in that context I framed my response.

I believe that it is critical that Steve and other readers have information which addresses this contractual area of hosting due to the ramifications which might ensue. It's business, not just blind loyalty.

I did mention that there was room for offline transactions at the discretion of hosts.

All the best.

There is pleanty of adventure to come.

regards, Christine.