Preventing Unauthorized Copying of Copyrighted Materials by Guests: Strategies and Measures Implemented by Hosts

Chuck198
Level 1
Pensacola, FL

Preventing Unauthorized Copying of Copyrighted Materials by Guests: Strategies and Measures Implemented by Hosts

As a host, I am interested in learning about the strategies and measures that other hosts have implemented to prevent the unauthorized copying of copyrighted materials, such as movies, music, books, and other forms of digital media, by guests when using the wifi provided. Could you explain how you address this issue at your rental(s)?

4 Replies 4
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Interesting question. How exactly would someone providing WiFi go about monitoring how people would use it? I would think that the day providing WiFi becomes a potential liability for a host is the day every host (and everyone else) would stop providing it, without a written disclaimer.

Or the day its usage would be added to liability waivers, which in my case it would have to read - "Swim at your Own Risk" and "Host is Absolved from the Illegal Ways you May Use the WiFi". Too weird.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Neither of these statements would absorb you from any legal responsibility 😁

I am trying to incorporate the two in one: 'Guest absolves the Host the misuse of the WiFi during swimming'. Hmmm, needs a little more work.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Chuck198  I swear there is a host here who has had an experience like this.  

We have country internet, it's shonky, no one is coming here to DL stuff. My daughter just spent 2 frustrating days trying to DL some game thingy that was "super important"..... both she and I are looking forward to when she moves to the city and lives on uni campus. 😆

You can actually place limits on DLs via wifi, depending on your set up.