fake inquiries: they just created account, no reviews, no profile, say they have questions but don't pose in the airbnb message and ask to talk outside airbnb

Robin817
Level 1
Redwood City, CA

fake inquiries: they just created account, no reviews, no profile, say they have questions but don't pose in the airbnb message and ask to talk outside airbnb

I've been inundated with fake inquiries over the last few months, i.e. over 25 at least.  The mode is pretty consistent. Person just opened airbnb account, no reviews, no profile, says they have questions about the property but don't list them in the airbnb message. They provide their number and want to talk outside of airbnb. They don't answer any of my questions including confirmation that my house rules work for them or any information about their group or why they are coming to the area.  One exception to this was 2-3 inquiries said they were coming to the area for business. I suspect that these inquiries are generated by a bot. When airbnb says they have verified someone, it seems that there verification is limited to verifying a credit card but nothing else.  Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've reported each of them.  In some cases, airbnb has pulled them off the site before I've reported them, so they seem to get catching on to these folks. 

1 Reply 1
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin817 

Yes, I've had these sorts of enquiries before too, but 25 in the space of a few months seems like a lot. I wonder if there is something specific about your listing/s that are attracting these scammers.

You are right not to trust the Airbnb verification process though. It's really not very robust and I wouldn't rely on it.

Also, while Airbnb have sometimes caught on to these scammers, there have been guests I have reported for having fake profiles etc. and they remain on the site, able to book with other hosts, and showing 'verified ID' on their profiles, which Airbnb themselves told me to block and report.