A Guest requested to change reservation after checked-in

Answered!

A Guest requested to change reservation after checked-in

I had a mid-term guest for 3 months (first time), but after staying 2 months she told me that her job being cut short, she wants to change her reservation and now leaving one month earlier (32 days earlier). I have a strict cancellation policy. I rejected her request and told her that  I’m unable to accept the request due to the short notice, it’s not enough time to find booking replacement. I discounted the rates for her considering the length of the stay. She left, my house is empty now for the whole month and no one can book because the entire month shows booked. Is it any way I can open those booked days since the house is actually available and try to get some bookings? 

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

you don't need to open up your calendar you have rejected her request to amend the booking. 

the guest booked under the long term cancellation policy so will lose a month if she cancel and you will still be paid.

just advise the guest as a gesture of good will if she cancels and you get any replacement bookings you will refund proportionally at the discounted rate she was given less the airbnb fee @Tatyana70 

View Best Answer in original post

49 Replies 49

@Tatyana70  A guest can cancel both before and during the stay and will automatically get refunded according to the cancellation policy. And the calendar will reopen so new guests can book. Ask any experienced host in this community. 
I have hosted for more than 10 years and have also experienced it several times myself. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

She absolutely can cancel during her stay it's just she won't be entitled to a refund under the cancellation policy she booked under @Tatyana70 

No, because you have obligations due to her paying for those days.  You shouldn’t gain on her misfortune.  You would need to refund her for those days.  I would recommend that you offer her a 50% return on the 30 days, if she agrees to release the home for you to open up booking for those days.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Janet1536 

i don't agree this is not about a host gaining from a 'guests misfortune' the guest booked a long term stay at a often heavily discounted rate because they committed to staying for a longer period . 

the host has their calendar blocked out for that period and is unlikely to get a replacement booking and so will be out of pocket if they refund the guest as they still have bills and mortgage to pay for that period. 

the fair thing to do is what I've already suggested and offer a guest a proportional discount for any days they rebook if the guest cancels .

a guest knows when they book under the long term policy they will need to give 30 days notice if they want to cancel and shouldn't make a long term booking if there's a chance they may need to change their booking at the last minute @Janet1536 

@Tatyana70 

It's possible that Airbnb is making it difficult for a guest to simply cancel a long-term stay early, as they want the guest to be fully refunded by the Host? That is why they are trying to get the guest to amend the dates and get the Host to accept that change. 

In future circumstances if the guest is unable to cancel themselves, ask the guest to contact Airbnb and explain they want to cancel the reservation as the Host as advised they cannot waive their cancellation policy, but have offered to refund them if they are able to get dates rebooked (minus fees and any change in price if price lowered). They can request that Airbnb cancel for them, as it doesn't seem they allow the guest to cancel themselves (at least for this reservation). It is to the guest's advantage to get Airbnb to cancel the reservation for them in this circumstance, as they have a chance to be refunded it full (or partially) if the dates are re-booked.