A Superhost award from Airbnb: nice or naff?

Answered!
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

A Superhost award from Airbnb: nice or naff?

This shiny little trinket arrived yesterday, all the way from California. A small number of other London hosts have been awarded one too.

There's a bit of a debate going on as to whether they're nice or naff. 

I like it, I think. 

What say you?

IMG_8765.jpg

1 Best Answer
Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

wow twenty times! 5 years! That's not easy. One bad review or a cancellation can derail you. Good on you mate! I'm about halfway there myself. 2-3 more years maybe. 

View Best Answer in original post

62 Replies 62
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Gordon0  I like it, mainly because it's functional - a big key chain that would be hard to lose.  More to the point - 20-time SuperHost - congratulations!  And to @Sandra856, too!

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

Congratulations @Gordon0 and @Sandra856 

Hard work well rewarded ... top hosts

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Gordon0 @Sandra856 

5 years superhosts... impressive 🙂 Congratulations!

Nice of Airbnb to send you a greeting card and a gift 🙂

Thank you @Branka-and-Silvia0 ! 🙂

I actually feel a little bad about dissing it.

But Gordon asked. So I answered 🙂 

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Gordon0- I like it and I think any positive recognition from Airbnb is something to be happy about.  My late husband received something sort of similar for his first five years with the last company he worked for.  I believe it meant more to me than it did to him.  It's a little loud and modern with my antique decor, but I don't care.  It was something he earned and that is all that matters.  Be proud of your accomplishments Gordon!

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Gordon0 ,

Your question sounds as if You are heading for the optical appearance of the badge You've got. Well everyone's got a different taste. Let's look at Your question figuratively.

Instead of a software badge which every superhost has in his or her profile, You now got a hardware bagdge bc You made it for superhost multiple times. What else could airbnb have given to outstanding superhosts?

• Multiple superhosts pay 2% service fee instead of 3%

• Multiple superhosts can have one bad review deleted once a year without having to give a reason

• Multiple superhosts show on top of the list in search results

All these incentives would be valuable economical advantages to the people awarded. But You got a hardwarebadge. What's the value of it? I assume if airbnb has 5000 pcs made they pay $5 each plus $5 shipping = $10. As You are a 10 times superhost, thats $1 for each quarter being a superhost.

So what do You think – nice or naff?

@Ute42  it's 20 x superhost so it's 50 c piece ... except if it's made of real gold :)))

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

You are right. I just blew up the picture and it blew me away – it's 20x Superhost.

As for the gold: I'm sure some of the recipents will have the material examined and we'll soon hear from them.

@Ute42  As per usual , love your pithy response. If they had 5000 made, I'd more likely bet they cost $1 or less each to make, as they would of course make sure to have them produced in a country where people earned slave wages, I doubt we're looking at German craftsmanship here. 

@Gordon0  Since you invited such response, to my aesthetic sensibilities, it's naff, not fond of bling, myself. Do let us know how long it takes for the ring to break off the keychain under normal usage, or the key to bend 🙂 But sincere congartulations anyway.

@Sarah977 @Ute42 @Branka-and-Silvia0 It actually seems to be really, really high quality. Everything from the package to the velvet thing the key lies on to the little written note. Like if you buy an expensive Iphone. Just so you know :-D. Haha 🙂 

@Sandra856  What velvet thing? I just see the key attached to a board. Maybe I need stronger glasses. Or maybe yours came in a different format than Gordons? 

@Sarah977 It's because it's inside the white box you can't see it. 

@Sandra856  Ah, now I understand. But if I was eligible for one, I still think I'd prefer one of the rewards @Ute42  mentioned, since I really don't need a keychain, especially one that's not my "style" 🙂

@Sarah977 Me too! A new and FAIR rating system would also be on the top list! And I would have loved a 500 $ travelcoupon! 😄

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

As it happens, @Sarah977, the key actually locks/unlocks a particular London host's (private room) listing. That said, locks weren't actually that secure back in Victorian times (when these beauties were the thing to have) so I imagine she'd be able to do the same with a Biro.

@Ute42 I had actually thought (I know,I know, this will come across as ungrateful) Airbnb might have whisked me off (business class, natch) for a 'handing over of the key' ceremony. But then I imagine a fleet of A380s from London alone would be needed.

As for mine, I'll try and 'modernise' the look as best I can (perhaps in a black box frame) and whack it in the room that won said accolade.