A bad guest left left a review for the wrong host! Can they edit their review now that they've seen my review?

Sarah1754
Level 2
Albany, OR

A bad guest left left a review for the wrong host! Can they edit their review now that they've seen my review?

I had a guest book last minute. They had good reviews (tho they were a guest in a group where someone else booked in those reviews and weren't mentioned at all) from other hosts, so they were able to instant book my place. Last minute bookings are trickier because you have all this information to get to the guest before they arrive. I sent all the information I normally do, the details of the house and the area and where the beach access is, even mentioned the steep stairs as there was a dog coming with them. No response.

Shortly after I sent along the check in details because they were checking in the next day (they booked late at night for a check in the following afternoon). I never heard anything until they arrived, when the guest asked where to get the keys. I had of course sent this information in the check in details, but I sent it again. I didn't heard anything back until they wrote, where is the beach access?

Another thing I had sent in the previous messages, but again I sent it again. Super friendly, fast responses, as always! I never heard another word during their stay. The afternoon after check out I thanked them for staying and wished them well. Never heard anything. It is a couple days until the review period is over, and I never review a guest before a guest reviews me because I don't want to make them feel pressured to review if they don't want to. This guest didn't review and time was almost up, which I was grateful for because I had nothing nice to say and I assumed they didn't either.

My guess is they thought they could walk to the beach and they actually had to drive, and they didn't say a single nice thing to me so I think it's a safe assumption. I left an honest review. My housekeeper said they place was left a mess and they hadn't followed any of the check out procedures, and obviously communication hadn't been great. It turns out the review they left was actually for another place!

The things it mentions aren't even in my town. So my question is, when they realize they left the good review for the wrong place, and see that I marked them down on cleanliness, communication, and house rules, can they contact airbnb to change the review to my place and leave me an awful review because now they know my review for them is bad. That wouldn't be fair, since they now would have seen my review.  

Even tho the review they left isn't for the right place, and should be removed, I don't think they should be able to review my place at all now. Has anyone else had something like this happen? Thank you!

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah1754 once a review is published it cannot be changed. A guest (or host) could ask for their review to be deleted if they wished. It is unclear what happens to the star rating if the review is deleted.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Thanks @Mike-And-Jane0 - we must have posted at the same time - appreciate you popping in to help @Sarah1754 with your knowledge!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you @Mike-And-Jane0 ! I guess I am wondering if because they reviewed the wrong place they can ask airbnb to edit their review.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah1754 no they can't edit the review. If it is a good review just leave it alone!

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Sarah1754 

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had this experience.

I'm sure one of our lovely members will be along soon to give you some advice, but in the meantime, have you contacted Airbnb about getting the review removed?  

I had a quick look and found this article which suggests that Airbnb could possibly remove the review under the review content policy as the review isn't relevant to your property, you'll see more information by following that link and looking at the "moderating for relevancy" section.

I'm sure Support would be able to answer your question about whether or not another review can be left as well.

Please let us know how you get on!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you @Jenny !

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah1754 just another thought - everything in your listing screams to me that you can walk to the beach. If I booked it I would be disappointed if I found I had to drive.