A very disappointing experience with Airbnb in Washington DC

Mindy-Xiumin0
Level 1
Mitaka, Japan

A very disappointing experience with Airbnb in Washington DC

I recently came to Washington DC for work. I chose to stay with Anj. 

In the end, I could not check in. I did not get a refund. During the entire process I interacted with Anj, I felt mistreated. She was rude and cold. Not responsive. She changed the check-in time. She was not able to check me in. She did not answer my questions. She did not reply to my pleading messages to check in during a severe weather condition. Major violation of host rules.  

Airbnb support team is of little help. I called them multiple times. At least two staff members told me I am definitely going to get full refund because Anj violated host regulations more than once in the process she interacted with me. But in the end, they told me that Anj refuses to reimburse so I get no refund at all. 

I don't know whether I got this kind of treatment because I am an international guest with Asian descent. But I suggest people with similar backgrounds to mine be cautious when choosing Airbnb.

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mindy-Xiumin0 I really do not believe racism is involved in Airbnb's response and would just like to make sure that you know that you are always welcome at our Airbnb. I would do a couple of things. Firstly ask Airbnb again and see if you get another answer also hope that @Rebecca is able to ask Airbnb if they will re-look at your case.

Without all the facts I cannot tell what their response should be but hopefully it will work out for you.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you were not able to check in at a time agreed with the host because of their error then Airbnb should refund your money and should have helped you find alternative accommodation. @Mindy-Xiumin0 

Difficult to comment more without having the full facts.

I highly doubt any discrimination was involved. More like the usual call centre staff incompetency.