Additional unexpected guest

Daniel9222
Level 2
Colonial Beach, VA

Additional unexpected guest

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering what to do when a person brings additional guest to the house? We have an additional guest fee, however sometimes guest have unexpected additional guest while others try to "beat the system" and not pay for additional guest. Do you charge them after if you notice the guest coming in with extra bags and staying the night or just let it go?

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Absolutely you should charge them @Daniel9222 

I always ask guests to confirm total number staying when they book and remind them there is a charge for additional guests.

just contact the guest and say you have noticed there are more guests staying than have booked. Say if they want the additional person not on the booking to stay they need to add them to the booking by xxx time.

do this before the guest checks out. 

I just had a young man do this... He brought an unapproved guest. While our initial flat fee is for double occupancy, we REALLY need to account for "all souls on our ranch" for our INSURANCE purposes.

People have NO idea how much insurance companies charge us for the privilege of having the Airbnb. Even though Airbnb has its own insurance going... if a guest is undeclared and something (GOD forbid) happened to them, would the Airbnb insurance cover them?? I think not.

This has opened up a can of worms for us that I really need to address.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Sonya81 

I would contact the guest who booked straight away - remind them that any person staying should be on the booking or it will invalidate your insurance. Tell them they need to update their booking to include their visitor and pay the additional fee.

By the way Airbnb doesn't have insurance it has a very limited guarantee with many exclusions.

Thank you Helen!  I will save your solution and do this from now on! Usually I am able to make sure of the census BEFORE the reservation is made, or they arrive (and have them alter the booking).

I've had to use Airbnb claim for DOG damages, so I thought Airbnb covered guests, too... YIPES! Good to know...

This time was kind of, um, different. I wasn't comfortable, and I couldn't figure out why. So I'm glad it was only 2 nights and I will learn from this.

Again, many thanks!

Sonya

We are new to hosting and this is our second booking.  The woman booked for two guests.  She said that one of her sisters wanted to join them last minute.  Which we really didn’t have a problem with but told her the room is set up for two.  She let it slip that she brought in an airplane mattress. During her stay at least 6 people were in and out of the room.  But we aren’t sure exactly how many stayed. They have not been rowdy or noisy.  They will be checking out today.  Although we did tell her that she is responsible for the room we didn’t go into greater detail.  We decided to let this go and see how the space is left upon checkout.  But we will be covering additional guests from now on in detail. Any ideas?

@Avery-And-Angie0   NO extra guests for a place for two.  NO airplane mattresses.  Your guest took advantage of you being new and kind hearted.  When people want to beg to have an extra “last minute” guest, a firm NO is best.  They knew the extra was coming, they just didn’t want to pay for them and an larger accommodation.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Daniel9222   Drop your numbers to 6 and remove the references to the sleeper sofas.  You are renting the entire house, so guests will do as they please, inviting this or that person to spend a night or two on the pullout.  If too many of your guests are having extra people, increase your prices and expect a full house.  By the way, is there another eating area or just the table for 4?  

Javer2
Level 2
Santa Clarita, CA

I have a list of very clear I believe several times, and no additional guessed that are not disclosed in the booking will be allowed and if it is discovered, they will all be asked to leave and forfeit the money because it’s a violation of the house rules

Unfortunately, you have to be stern sometimes, and even after writing it several times in my listing description, I still encounter people who try to be slick, but I have reminded them and as soon as I do to get sleeves, I know it’s uncomfortable, but it is them who put themselves in that position