Air BnB refusing to sort out a problem with a refund payment

Emma3418
Level 1
Sway, United Kingdom

Air BnB refusing to sort out a problem with a refund payment

I am a single parent with a disabled daughter and my much-needed holiday was cancelled after 1 night as the property was filthy. We were offered a full refund by the owners. I am now in a ridiculous situation where Air BnB insisted on making the refund to a credit card I already told them was shut down, so I have no way of accessing the money. The bank claim Air BnB can recall the refund, Air BnB are refusing to do so saying the bank will refund me, but the bank can't as they have no personal details for the credit cards that were shut down by John Lewis in October last year. I have asked over and over again to speak with a senior complaints person, but you just get allocated a new 'Ambassador' who just sends you a message full of the same old script lines over and over again. No attempt to help, as many others say - just being fobbed off. Worst customer service EVER!!

I have posted messages on social media but nothing has produced a response.  I've even emailed the CEO, Brian Chesky, directly but, of course, he's far too busy raking in the big bucks to bother about customer service.  Oh, if anyone's interested, his direct email is **

**[Email address removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] Please don't share anyone's email address on a public forum.

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Emma3418 there have been newspaper articles on this recently. Based on them it is the bank at fault not Airbnb so it might be worth trying them again. Articles were either in the Daily Mail or Guardian if you want to search for them.

Here's one of the articles

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Emma3418 Sadly as you should know Airbnb will repay only to the card used. Who is John Lewis? because that money will go to that card and then rebound .Who evers card number is on the Airbnb account will need to up date it and the next time it rebounds it should come to that card. Otherwise talk to ' John Lewis if they hold the account... H

After reading Mike-and - Janes article it seems that you have 120 days to go into your Airbnb account and change the number...H

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Emma3418  Who you should be focusing on is who now has the money, and by the sounds of it it is not Airbnb. The bank should have returned the money if the old account is closed. And yes, who is John Lewis; I am sure all inquiring minds are dying to know.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Fred13 @Helen744 "John Lewis" is the name of a department store chain in the United Kingdom and I believe they have some stores in Ireland as well. They offer other services too like financing and insurance.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Ah....that does ring an old bell, that is where I seen the name, in England.

I sympathize with you. Air BnB also has refused to refund my money after our stay in an Air BnB condo which was not the top floor condo I paid for & while there, my guests & I were racially profiled. They admitted investigating

the charges & sided with us but still no refund or compensation.