Airbnb Support - Never Backing Hosts

Preston44
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Airbnb Support - Never Backing Hosts

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering what other fellow hosts experiences have been with the support team. I just had a situation where a guest failed to read the first line of my description which states the space is shared (I live in the home). The guest immediately asked if I was home and then checked out early a couple hours later. To my surprise, I was met with several false claims that the house was dirty, crumbs in the bed, and even that the smoke alarm was hanging down from the ceiling. I highly suspect that the guest was simply just trying to justify an early check out (probably because they did not like the fact that the space was shared) to receive a refund considering 5/7 of the claims made were false (there were some crumbs in the toaster oven and under the stove grate - hardly enough justification for a cancellation). The smoke alarm in particular was 100% hooked in before the guest arrived, so I am confident they unhooked it to make the space seem unsafe. Sure enough, the guest filed a report against me and Airbnb cancelled the reservation, refunded the guest, and did not compensate me at all. All of this happened without the support team talking to me first. Now, I am left with not being able to re-book those dates and losing out on the original payout. This specific situation is still ongoing and I have no confidence that support will do anything to help despite me being a Superhost with literally zero previous negative reviews.

This is not my first time dealing with support to no avail. I have had guests want to change/cancel their trips last minute and then Airbnb pinning the option for a refund on ME several times (which puts hosts in such an awkward position despite clearly laying out a cancellation policy). I actually don't think I have ever had a positive experience with the support team.

Am I alone in this?

3 Replies 3
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Preston44 ,

So sorry to hear about your experience with this guest. I have also reached out to the related teams if they can address your concerns and get in touch with you.

I hope you hear something from them soon.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

This is a common occurrence. Some guests, when they do not get their way, start lying. The Airbnb CS department tends to believe them.

Yep. I was just informed that the guest will be getting a full refund, will receive no penalties, and I will actually have a “note” placed on my account because of the crumbs in the toaster oven in the event that another guest complains… what a joke. I get penalized for crumbs in the toaster oven while the guest gets away with unscrewing my smoke alarm. I also just got a notification to leave a review for the guest which also means I will most likely be receiving a horrible review from the guest.