Airbnb Suspension and Account Ban

Max1814
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Airbnb Suspension and Account Ban

Airbnb punishes us for cancelling reservations by cancelling 256 of our upcoming reservations, suspending our account, and notifying us that our account will be banned after our last guest checks out on September 30, 2024,  leaving our guests stranded. They then try to block our guests from being able to re-book their stay at our property. Not a great business model. Way to treat hosts who have made millions for you and helped build your platform for the last 5 years as superhosts with over 25 properties. Disgraceful. 

8 Replies 8
Lorina14
Top Contributor
Bellevue, WA

@Max1814 

What happened for you to get suspended and banned? Did they cite to you what rules you broke as part of the agreement with Airbnb? Did they allow you to explain your point of view? I know that if you continually cancel on guests they can suspend your account.Was the cancellation due to an unforeseen event like a pipe burst or something else? You should not have been penalized for things like that. Did you speak with customer service or the team to figure out what went wrong. 

@Bhumika @Paula @Rebecca could you help out Max?

The rogue phoneless underground department who handles these issues sent us an email 10 days after our listings got suspended. They told us that our account will be removed after our last guest checks out and that we cannot create any new accounts, nor can our associates. Of course they cited their claims, which we disagree with, but gave us no option to appeal. Again, we never even received a warning about anything before this happened. We've been superhosts for 5 years with about 25 Airbnb properties. Our account has a 4.9 star review average across our whole account and I have devoted my whole life into making great guest experiences. They wiped out about $850,000 worth of future bookings. Would have been nice to receive some sort of warning before essentially wipiing out a business consisting of about 40 people. Luckily we're going to mention this to every media outlet that we can find. Gibbs Law Firm has been extremely helpful and let us know that luckily there are legal remedies available, but it shouldn't have to come to this. I would recommend anyone going through an issue as a guest or host reach out to them. Please also message me if you're going through a similar situation. 

Was able to find out the man making this decision's name is Roger Wong. You can find him on linkedin 

Wow the guy just called me and told me if I paid a $25,000 penalty, that my account would be reinstated! Absolutely corrupt!

what exactly happened to get your listings suspended?  

It wasn't a suspension, it was a lifetime ban. Apparently we had "too many cancellations" which makes no sense. How would we be able to acheive super host status for 5 years in a row with too many cancellations. This all seems fishy especially after we received a call from Mr. Wong with the Trust team asking for a payment to clear the account. Has this happened to any of you?

@Max1814 

Too many cancellations? Is there a set number per year of cancellations we as hosts are allowed? Is it if the hosts cancel the guests reservations or is it for any cancellations (including guests initiated cancellations). I mean I’ve had guests book and two minutes later cancel, I’ve had some book for a week then cancel and others book months in advance then cancel a month prior. People’s minds and plans change so how can you get penalized for that?

If you had 5 years as a Superhost and a 4.9 rating overall, I don’t know how you get a lifetime ban unless you seriously broke their terms and conditions. But it appears you didn’t and they didn’t even give you a chance to appeal or a warning before suspension of your listings that you have consistently gotten good reviews for?

I also don’t understand why if you paid a penalty you could get reinstated from a lifetime ban? I have never read if anything like this but you could search the community center and see if there were any similar cases in the past. Search the posts at the top and let us know.

@Lorina14 do you have the ability to get in touch with the people who make decisions? It seems that Airbnb is hyper focused on guests with there being such a surplus of hosts in the community these days, which I get. Just makes no sense to slap a lifetime ban on a host for an alleged violation without even reaching out to them first. Complete double standard to punish a host for cancelling by cancelling all of their future reservations. 

As far as asking us to pay a penalty, that completely blew me away, which is why I reported it to Airbnb. This guy, and the whole Trust department in general, seriously needs to be investigated. I heard that one of the major Trust and Safety call centers in the Phillipines recently got shut down for Fraud.