Airbnb cancels for guest, host notified last minute

Katrina366
Level 1
San Jose, CA

Airbnb cancels for guest, host notified last minute

Wanted to ask if this has happened to any other hosts. We had a guest reservation for one night for 3 people (we typically allow 2 people, but are ok with 3 guests in a room if they pay an additional fee) and this guest asked a few questions beforehand, but nothing about any issues with their stay. 

Fast forward to the next evening, Airbnb Support reaches out letting us know they will be canceling the request on behalf of the guest (and it's already well past the checkout time), informing us that the guest canceled because of a strong smell of alcohol in the property. None of the guests staying there mentioned this, and there was nothing our direct messages to the guest telling us that they had this concern! Of course we're taken by surprise...we haven't heard feedback about this before, and only heard of it because of the Support team reached out MINUTES before they were going to cancel on behalf of the guest. Again, no messages or indication of a strong smell. We don't live in the property, but asked other guests there who were staying at the same time and didn't hear of any issues. Additionally, another guest checked in today and they did not mention a strong smell. I asked Airbnb if they could provide evidence of this after reviewing the case because without a confirmation from us in a message or a photographic evidence from the guest, how could they just cancel AFTER the checkout time?

Just seems a bit unfair...also don't know why this guest didn't communicate this with us at all. Our theory is that they realized the room was a bit too small for 3 people and therefore decided to come up with a reason to cancel without any penalties (due to last-minute cancellations like this from previous history, we have a strict cancellation policy).

Anyone else experience something similar? Is there a way for a host to defend themselves in this situation where Airbnb basically decides for you?

3 Replies 3
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Katrina366 I'm sorry to hear about this situation. I can imagine how frustrating it must be. I'm tagging some of our experienced hosts here to see if they have any suggestions or advice to share with you based on their own experiences. @Lorna170 @Kitty-and-Creek0 @Gifty5 @Storme0 @Nicholas439 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

1 night stay. don’t do it period.

Gifty5
Level 9
Chicago, IL

@Katrina366 I'm sorry to hear about this situation. I wish Airbnb could provide support to hosts in cases like this. It's not uncommon to encounter individuals like this in life, and it would be helpful if there was effective communication between you and the guests to better understand the situation. Hopefully, Airbnb can offer some resolution for you to keep in mind for the future.