Airbnb deleting negative reviews without contacting reviewer?

Answered!
Mark479
Level 2
Austin, TX

Airbnb deleting negative reviews without contacting reviewer?

We stayed in an Airbnb in Charlotte in Dec 2023.  There were several issues that I documented in my review and did so tactfully but honestly and stated I had photos of the issues.  I am certain nothing I posted was contrary to Airbnb's TOS and my review, although negative, was not horrible, it was factual and not an 'emotional' review.

I noticed today that the review was not posted and I double checked that I didn't receive an email or communication from Airbnb about them removing this review.  I contacted Airbnb and they confirm the review was removed and the would check with their "back end" team and contact me back about the circumstances.

We use Airbnb a LOT when we travel, in the US and abroad.  We actually have several lined up for upcoming trips right now.

I depend on these reviews and assumed that Airbnb was transparent about them or notifying the customer, me, if there is a problem with a review.

If Airbnb is cherry picking reviews and removing negative reviews without confirming or contacting the reviewer, is this considered 'fair business practice'?

I left the conversation with the Airbnb rep with the following "if it is determined that Airbnb  removed my review in favor of the hosts explanation/request without contacting me as well, then what is my reason for continuing to use Airbnb and check reviews before booking?" 

So I'm asking the community, is this a normal business practice of Airbnb? 

Besides griping to Airbnb and not doing business with them any more is there any recourse to getting this honest review back?

1 Best Answer
Mark479
Level 2
Austin, TX

After a lengthy conversation with an Airbnb rep and about 2 hours of research on their end, they contacted me back and explained there was a technical glitch that caused my review from not showing.  They thanked me and said that this issue had affected a number of other reviews and it has since been corrected.  Sure enough my review was now visible and my faith in Airbnb's review system has been restored.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Mark479
Level 2
Austin, TX

After a lengthy conversation with an Airbnb rep and about 2 hours of research on their end, they contacted me back and explained there was a technical glitch that caused my review from not showing.  They thanked me and said that this issue had affected a number of other reviews and it has since been corrected.  Sure enough my review was now visible and my faith in Airbnb's review system has been restored.

Vic6767
Level 1
West Covina, CA

Apparently this is something that Airbnb seems to be doing. They’re deleting negative reviews per host requests without notifying the reviewer that their review was removed.

My negative review was removed.  Luckily I happened to notice after checking the listing again to see if my review was still there.  Called Airbnb and they had no idea why my review was removed. Then proceeded to add it back to the listing so it’s public.

I saw another negative posted to the listing and took a screen shot. Checked again a week later and at no surprise, the negative review was removed.

Can’t trust Airbnb anymore because of this terrible practice. 

IMG_4612.png

IMG_4613.png