Airbnb host increasing rate after declining booking

Answered!

Airbnb host increasing rate after declining booking

Hi all! I have a question. (Am I in the right place to ask this question- I don’t know but I’m gonna just go with it anyway) 

I just tried booking my first Airbnb. I found such a cute little place to stay for a week next year and was super excited. I requested the booking only for the host to decline my booking request. I went back onto Airbnb only to see that the property was still available for those dates however that  the price had been increased by almost $1000.

I am travelling for an event (Taylor Swift) and it has been very well known since she announced the concert’s that she is going to be playing in Melbourne over that week. It is my understanding that it is the host’s responsibility to ensure that the booking price is current at all times. It doesn’t seem fair to me and a bit of a low act if you ask me. I have very strong morals and if i was the host I would have accept the booking at the price originally listed as it was my error. Anyways, I will not be requesting to re book at this higher price out of principle and if i am unable to secure accomodation I’d much rather have to resell the tickets at the price I brought them for then book this Airbnb or any of the hosts other properties. (Kinda also turned me off Airbnb as a whole as well)

Anyways, all this to ask: Are hosts allowed to decline a booking and then increase the listing’s price? Is that against the rules? Am I able to report the host for this? 

cheers for any advice

Top Answer
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry you have had a disappointing experience.

A host can decline a booking for any reason that is not based on discrimination @Bec3063 . 

A host can increase their prices at any point before a booking is confirmed. Some hosts use automated pricing which can increase or decrease pricing automatically based on demand.

You can look for hosts that use Instant Book so you can be confident that you will have a confirmed booking at the price you see.

View Top Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry you have had a disappointing experience.

A host can decline a booking for any reason that is not based on discrimination @Bec3063 . 

A host can increase their prices at any point before a booking is confirmed. Some hosts use automated pricing which can increase or decrease pricing automatically based on demand.

You can look for hosts that use Instant Book so you can be confident that you will have a confirmed booking at the price you see.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You send a 'request' to stay at a particular place next year, and the host didn't accepted, it may be for many reasons, one of them that the calendar just opened for that time but for a wrong price. It shouldn't be automatically viewed  as a moral reflection on Airbnb or hosts in general since the request system is there so both parties have time to feel comfortable about a booking.