Airbnb keeps canceling our guests bookings!!!!

Blair110
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Airbnb keeps canceling our guests bookings!!!!

I am writing for my wife who is  a super host in Toronto for many years now. Her nerves are shot and cannot take any more.

5 days ago ALL of our bookings in one of the two bedrooms we host in our family home were cancelled by Airbnb.

When questioned she was told there was a problem with the city of Toronto registration. We  immediately contacted the city and we’re  told there is absolutely no problem with our registration as far as the city is concerned.

After 2 days of back and forth communication with all of her guests most of them were able to rebook.

Now after just one day,  she was horrified to find the exact same thing has happened to all of her guests bookings again!

We have been on the phone to airbnb host support a half dozen times now and keep getting the run around blaming the city and the city say not them. Every time we are told it will need to be escalated to an ambassador to get back to us. Like I said it has been 5 days now and we have yet to hear back from any ambassador from airbnb.

83 Replies 83
Jing205
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Hi, this has now happened to me twice as well. It is incredibly frustrating, not only for myself, but also for all of my guests. And the many hours spent to rectify the situation. The first time was June 23rd, and again today on July 22nd. Some of my guests have had this cancellation happen to them twice with their reservation with me. 

I also called Airbnb support and spoke to many different people over 3 weeks and got different answers from each, a lot of blame and t no solutions. All I wanted was to understand the issue and ensure it doesn't happen again.

If there are small discrepancies with what's submitted from the City of Toronto, can't there be a small period to resolve the issue instead of cancelling all reservations immediately? I don't understand what exactly is the issue as I just re-submit my same City of Toronto Registration Number again and it is accepted with no problem. 

I can see many people with the exact same problem over months now, can a solution be deployed ASAP?

This happened to me as well - on those exact dates! I am starting to wonder if there is an issue with the AirBnB system that checks license status monthly. I have lost many bookings - especially the guests who were cancelled twice - and NO compensation from AirBnB.

Seems to be around 22/23rd of the month. I just want to know what I can do to ensure this doesn’t happen August 22, some of these guests would have had this happen to them 3 times if this happens again in August! 

Airbnb - please give us an answer. 

@Blair110 did you manage to get anything resolved? 

Chandra114
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

This exact situation has also happened to me twice now! Once in June and once in July. Losing many bookings - and income. This is beyond frustrating! And completely unacceptable! With NO compensation for lost bookings from AirBnB. 

Brandon682
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I agree, this is absurd.  We got an email at 2:57 today saying "action required" and another email at 2:57 today (the same minute) saying every single one of our future bookings was cancelled and refunds given.  Not even a single minute to rectify or even try to address the issue.  We were on hold with the city for an hour and a half, (clearly other folks have been having the same issues) and finally received an email from the Toronto short term rental department saying as everyone here has said, that our permit is 100% valid and in good standing.  

Airbnb we were also on hold with, and they've told us they would look into it and get back to us.  We haven't heard anything yet, but have been responding to distressed guests non stop all day with nothing concrete to tell them other than we'd like to honour their bookings.  Truthfully as many here have I guess experienced, I'm not so much worried about our income (as new booking requests came crashing in as soon as we had the listing back online) but the guests that are being hung out to dry here without any options.  We've snoozed our listing until we hear back from Airbnb so we can honour our guests' bookings that just got cancelled.  

Susan4740
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

time for a class action lawsuit. 

Accountability is a good start. As hosts, we are left busting out asses cleaning up their errors-only to be bounced around with no answers! What a sh$t show! 

what took you so long

Aditya86
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

1AB58F59-D5B2-4E12-B5CB-7648944A80B9.pngThis is an ongoing issues. I’m a host and they cancelled all my reservations in May 2022. I have close to $2000 earning from the upcoming reservations.

last time I attached the email from city of toronto, stating that everything was ok. My house was automatically unlisted. Clearly some guests booked another place.

airbnb cancelled all my booking again on July 23rd, including a person who was arriving in the next two hours. 
there escalation and support team has not gotten back to me even after 36 hours. 
I think this is not a glitch because gheh five different reason each time/ to different people. It’s their trick to promote new hosts(just like Uber who will give you less rides as a driver)

so, clearly it’s unethical on the part or Airbnb. My guests are angry again because two people have been cancelled twice now. Now the guests want to pay in cash - something Airbnb can’t control and must be careful of.

long story short - the cancellation happened to me twice with no proof reason. The support won’t explain what happened and there is none at the city of toronto office who will pick the phone.

shame on your Airbnb. 

I just had my reservation for Toronto cancelled by Air bnb for late August. The host says it’s this same issue.  He changed the settings on his account to allow me to rebook thankfully but what a hassle!  Air bnb needs to do better, this is terrible service on their part.  

Same thing here, reservation cancelled for the 2nd time and now the cost has gone up. Trying to contact Airbnb, but last time I did it was a dead end. What a terrible company an service.

I agree. I have been a host for nearly three years and AirBnB has cancelled my calendar twice now-June and July. It’s a system issue on their side and they refuse to take responsibility or reinstate any of the bookings. It’s time something is done about this. It’s not acceptable. I’m considering renting through another platform.  

Phillip325
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I feel your pain. It happened to us yesterday. This was the second time, happened on June 23. I hate to tell you but Airbnb are not looking into this for you. Airbnb have washed their hands of this ongoing issue. They refuse to help, they refuse to do anything about it. They will give you the run around...ambassadors and Escalation team members. They will come back to you and only tell you. We have confirmed that on July 23 you listing were cancelled based on direction from the city. That is the extend of their investigation. They tell you...what have you told them when initiating the complaint.

Rightfully guests are very upset. Airbnb zero help. 
In totally over the 2 occasions we have had over 100 bookings cancelled.
80% of guests understand.
18% of guests asked for a reduced rate (often based on exchange rate)
2% of guests are furious and abusive.
See attached screen

Screenshot_20220723-110534_Airbnb.jpg

Yes-I have experienced the same. Furious guests! And we are left to clean up AirBnB’s error. Honestly, tired of this. It’s time something is done as Airbnb continues to make money and hosts continue to lose booking and time when dealing with angry guests and reassuring understanding guests. I’m ready to tap out and find another platform. 

Hi @Phillip325 

I'm a reporter with CBC Toronto and working on a story about this issue. So sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please contact me? **

Thanks!
Angelina

**[Contact details removed - Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise or share contact details on the Community Center.