Airbnb "Trust Department" and unauthorized parties

Airbnb "Trust Department" and unauthorized parties

We have a Mansion that has 11 bedrooms/sleeping areas and is located in an area of Minneapolis that has The Basilica of Saint Mary and other wedding venues. We are a Superhost and have hosted over 250 families on Airbnb and VRBO in the past 5 years. All of our reviews are 5 star and we have never had a complaint form our neighbors. Three days ago the "Trust" department deactivated our listing for a number of reasons that we have now corrected. We have been unable to get Airbnb to activate our listing. The problem with Airbnb's party reputation is not the hosts, it's the guests reserving a 2 bedroom and showing up with 35 unauthorized guests. When this occurrs Airbnb's protocol and support of the host is unacceptable. VRBO on the other hand will get you to a representative here in the states immediately and will take action with the guest. 

1 Reply 1
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Julia--Ann-and-Michael0  Airbnb is probably not the best place to book an event venue. The majority of hosts DO NOT allow any gatherings. Your place is set up for gatherings, and now Airbnb is implementing policies that prevent any hosts from having parties in their space at all. 

We used to host small weddings at our space (25 guests or less) and had packages that we advertised through different wineries in the area. We actually got a fair number of requests for events that they considered too small to be worthwhile. We have not had any such events this year, but we would never even consider hosting a party through this platform. How can you be paid for things like an officiant, flowers, cake, musicians, etc? How do you accurately recoup cleaning costs? How do you ensure the appropriate number of guests arrive? How do you deal with damage? Airbnb has zero protection or options for the host who undertakes parties. I would argue this is a poor match as a platform for an event venue to advertise on. 

If they were smart, Airbnb would launch AirEvent or another such site dedicated to those with larger spaces/party venues. They would have to do a serious re-vamp of their rules and payments but I should think it would not be too difficult. As a fellow host who does go after event business (or used to) I would steer far clear of Airbnb for this purpose. Just my two cents.