Airbnb refunded guest after 5 days in my apartment and accused me of violating Nondiscrimination policy(we have no pets policy)

Milan194
Level 2
Miami, FL

Airbnb refunded guest after 5 days in my apartment and accused me of violating Nondiscrimination policy(we have no pets policy)

Hey Hosts. 8 years I have listings on Airbnb and I’m used to host discrimination policy of our beloved platform. But this time they crossed the line. Long story short: guest checked in on 11.10.22 and the next day I received a complaint from neighbors about the dog she brought with her. So I asked the guest if she has a dog and explained that we have No pets policy when she started accusing me in discrimination of her rights, threatened me with her lawyer, she was rude and arrogant. And of course I’ve contacted Airbnb on this matter. Guess what was Airbnb’s solution? They blocked my account,  added as an adjustment $756 to my account, flagged my account, forced me to respond with confirmation that I accept Nondiscrimination policy and cancelled guest reservation with no penalty based on long term cancellation policy…after she stayed in my apartment for 5 out of 10 days.

Representative of “small specialized team” named*[Name hidden due to privacy concerns - Community Center Guidelines] did a “review” and made all of this decisions ignoring every aspect of the situation. I asked for his supervisor and he told be that there’s no one above him. 
After years of Airbnb’s ignorance and host disrespect I decided to  do something with it.   Please let me know if you’ve experienced something like I did with Airbnb and lets join and protect ourselves. 
Meanwhile I’m researching class actions, law firms etc.

14 Replies 14
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Milan194 forget class actions as you have agreed not to bring them. If I were you I wouldn't waste money on lawyers but just put in a claim against Airbnb in the small claims court. They almost certainly won't defend it and you will get a judgment for losses plus costs.

Thank you for your response Mike.

There was a $6 million settlement in past(I think 2020) and it was class action. I’m just tired of how unfair Airbnb acts when it comes to hosts. 

Now I did my research and apparently there are thousands of hosts with the same issues.

@mike-And-Jane0 @Milan194 @Gwen386 @Gillian166 we can all each buy a share and go to the annual meeting, and ask shareholders -- as we are in fact, in the business -- demand that it be more business-like.  What do you think about that?

@Alison290  I doubt the other investors, and groups like Vanguard (the maj shareholder - of the planet it seems) cares one bit about hosts, and they hold the voting power. I think you'd have more luck with a social media campaign.

What do you know about shareholder activism?  What is this opinion based on?  thank you for replying though. 

Hi Alison. In order to be heard as a shareholders we might need to spend tons of money. I’m thinking about petition. I’ve contacted bunch of law firms and waiting on respond.

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Milan194 Was it a service dog? I’m wondering why guest is accusing you of discrimination. 

Guest says that it is a service dog, but per Airbnb I refused to accommodate the guest with a Service animal and discriminated her even though she stayed for 5 days and cancelled her reservation 3 days after our conversation in which I never told her to leave or anything like that.

@Milan194 Please search the platform and make yourself aware of Airbnb rules regarding service animals for guests with disabilities. 

@Milan194  I think by her unhinged response it's not a service animal, as surely someone with a service dog would calmly provide you with the proof? There are all sorts of rules that apply to service dogs too; like they aren't allowed to be left alone. if you have an ext camera and prove she went out without the animal, then it's not a service dog. 

Thank you Gillian. It is a great point. I will double check with our building security 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Milan194 ,

Sorry to hear this. It seems a distressing situation for you. I have connected with the concerned team regarding this instance. I hope it is resolved.

Thanks, 

Bhumika

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi Bhumika. I’ve opened multiple cases with this team. However they just ignore my emails and than close cases.

Alison290
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

@Milan194 I am really sorry to hear about how you were treated.   We need to each buy a share; go to the annual meeting and stage a shareholders revolt.     I am glad you posted because I am really frustrated by airbnb right now too: