Airbnb unfair treatment of host

Hania120
Level 2
Boston, MA

Airbnb unfair treatment of host

I am shocked by unfair treatment of me as host by Airbnb. I had a guest who stayed at my apartment for 5 nights. I checked with her during her stay and she said everything was great. After she checked out, she reported to Airbnb that there were bugs in the apartment and requested a refund. Airbnb first told me that because she didn't communicate any problems with me during her stay, and because she didn't report it during 72 hour window, I am not obligated to refund me. My apartment was clean and there were not bugs when the cleaning crew finished. What likely happened was that the guest didn't keep the doors to the balcony closed as instructed, and there some bugs from outside got inside. I have no control of what guests do in the apartment. 

I am very disappointed that Airbnb issued a 90% refund to the guest, without letting me know. So disappointing, especially having a Super Host status. What do other Airbnb hosts do in situations like this? It appears that guest can come up with whatever stories to get a refund and hosts are not protected. 

2 Replies 2
Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Hania120  So disheartening.  Did the guest furnish Air with pics of bugs?  I personally would continue to escalate this with Airbnb until I got a better resolution.  

Bugs is pretty broad descrption, were they flies, cockroaches, ants or mosquitos.  All but the cockroach are pretty normal this time of year in New England. 

I would also contact the guest and ask her about it and why there was nothing said during her stay. 

Karen

Hi Karen, thank you for your response. Yes, she did provide pics to Airbnb which look like small mosquitos/flies. It’s been very rainy in Puerto Rico and I think the bugs got in through an open balcony door. It’s just very disappointing that Airbnb issued her a 90% refund out of my payout. I have escalated it with Airbnb, hope that they will remedy the situation. I am concerned that I am not protected as a host at all if guests file silly claims like this in the future. It’s not fair to a host at all.