Airbnb won't remove retaliatory, unfounded public response from host

Angie873
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb won't remove retaliatory, unfounded public response from host

The host of the Big Bear Lake, CA Airbnb we stayed at left a retaliatory response which, thus far, customer service claims it cannot remove in response to my review documenting a gas heater being stuck on in July, causing unsafe temperatures of up to 99 degrees indoors.  So far, the only recourse I've been presented with is to remove my review, which would leave future guests in the dark about the health/safety risks they may encounter.  However, leaving the host's public response could lead to future hosts denying us a reservation.

All documentation: **[Identifiable information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines due to privacy concerns]

The host's retaliatory response includes multiple false claims, including:

1. Host claims there was a ”heat wave” that was ”all over the news.”  Weather data proves otherwise.

2. Host claims that I called Airbnb asking for a refund. This is false. I messaged Airbnb when we were lightheaded and weren’t sure how to proceed, having not experienced a problem with an Airbnb before. We’d messaged the host earlier that day but hadn’t heard back.

3. Host claims I thought the cabin was fully air-conditioned. Screenshots show that I readily acknowledge the limited cooling (we're local; we get it) and call attention to the primary problem of the heating system inexplicably continuing to put out hot air. She never acknowledges this or the significant risks to us and our dogs associated with extreme heat and a clearly malfunctioning gas heating system. 

4. Host flatly rejects my note about cleanliness in which I mentioned a toilet brush I photographed, the majority visibly stained by feces. The host claims no prior issues with cleanliness; in reality, guest reviews include ”hoping for a cleaner experience next time" and another described dust so bad it was problematic for the family's allergies.
  5. Also regarding policy: the host’s copious rules (including check-out procedures) are not included in the listing, violating Airbnb policy.  She also prefers contacting her via text, also against Airbnb policy. 

Not long ago a healthy, thirty-something friend died of heat stroke despite circumstances that seemed surprisingly benign. This is a real issue.
0 Replies 0