Am I being swindled?

Am I being swindled?

One of my past guests, a week after he left, wrote to me saying that he would write a very bad review for my Airbnb if I didn't refund more than 70% of his stay. He wrote a long list of things that were wrong with the apartment, but he never contacted me during his stay to let me know of all these problems, other than one problem with the boiler that I solved right away. I am very suspicious because everything he mentioned I could have solved right away if he contacted me. Also, these problems were not apparent with later guests. When they left they thanked me and said they had a great stay. It makes me wonder if I am being conned. I discussed the issue with Airbnb, but despite being a Super-host with excellent reviews they said that they can't do anything, such as stopping the guest from publishing his dubious review. The only thing they did is, as I asked, delete my excellent review of the guest which I wrote prior to the blackmail. What do you suggest I should do? It is not a very large amount since the "guest" stayed only three nights.

17 Replies 17

Thank you, everyone. I have a couple of (stressful) days to think about it. The money involved is not much, but it angers me to be swindled and I am afraid it can become something that unscrupulous people will do in the future.

@Guy53 “I am afraid it can become something that unscrupulous people will do in the future.”

Of course it will, it we demonstrate to these types that they hold power over us. Don’t give in. Use the tools you have at your disposal to fight back. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Guy53 , if it was so bad that he needed a refund he could have cancelled early. He did not, he stayed. Hence, no refund. He did not complain during stay giving you opportunity to fix. Absolutely do not bend  to blackmail. Airbnb policy is to remove reviews based on blackmail. Report guest for blackmail attempt.