Annoying guest

Kaye65
Level 2
Mt Airy, NC

Annoying guest

I had a woman book my house in a couple of weeks who is celebrating her anniversary, and she has been asking me question after question about things to do and places to go and where to eat when I have a guidebook on my profile and in the house.  I don’t mind that, but our communication and her demands have gotten out of control.She began texting me on my phone number rather than in the Airbnb ap.She booked a week ago and has texted me 42 times. Here are some of the things she has asked of me: “would you go to a florist and pick up A bouquet of balloons? Would you mind picking up a chocolate mousse cake? Would you redo your decorations so they are in my colors? Would you find out if there’s horseback riding in the area?”

(Google search will give her those answers) Also she doesn’t read the house description about the things provided in the house because she will ask me things like “  do you have pots and pans? Am I allowed to cook in the house? “  Then there are red flag questions such as “Do you have cameras at the house? How far do you live from the house?”  She wakes me up early hours with her text messages. She friended me on Facebook. Yes I know I let her cross the line. After her stay I plan to block her on my phone and on Facebook. Am I being unreasonable?  Btw I told her I’d pick up balloons from dollar tree and a cake from Walmart which are both on the same street as the house. I will not change my decor for her. I am such a pushover. Tell me how you would handle this. 

6 Replies 6

@Kaye65  Wow, I've heard of some high maintenance guests, but this one literally takes the cake.

Anyway, since you've already volunteered to deliver a cake to the guest (which is way above and beyond a host's duties), that means you will soon be meeting with her in person. That is the best time to tell her that, while you are happy to have contributed to an extra-special anniversary celebration, you are going to be very busy for the next [however much longer she's staying] and won't be as readily available for contact. Then, make it clear that if there are any urgent issues that need your attention, the guest is welcome to contact you between the specific hours that you designate. Stay firm with your boundaries, and don't be afraid to politely say no to any requests outside of what you explicitly offer in your listing.

And please leave an honest review. This guest should never book an Airbnb again.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. Remind the guest that all communications need to be kept on Airbnb and that you won't be responding to further text messages.

2. Do not accept her friend request on FB

3. If she asks you a question already covered in your visitor guide - direct her to find the information there

4. Provide her with a link to your local tourist information website

5. I do hope you have quoted her extra for your time to deliver the cake and organise colour co-ordinated decorations

6. Remind the guest to read through your listing and guidebook and IF the information she wants related to your listing isn't in there she can message you on Airbnb. For any other information she should look on the local tourist board site/use Google. 

In terms of the specific requests, I would let her know you normally charge £300 a day for concierge services including researching and identifying suppliers, picking up and delivering items, responding to guest requests etc but don't have capacity to provide these services currently. 

Suggest she uses Lonely Planet/local tourist board website to find out about local amenities and Google to find local suppliers for her celebrations. 

Kaye65
Level 2
Mt Airy, NC

I don’t have to see her in person. She wants a frozen cake from the grocery store that I can leave in the fridge. I told her she could reimburse me for the expenses that I will request through the app. When someone tells me it’s a special occasion, I try to leave something special like a card or candy, but I’ve never had a guest specifically ask for so much. I allowed her to cross boundaries that I will no longer do in the future. My guess is she doesn’t get away very much and this little getaway means an incredibly lot to her. I don’t want to be mean to her, but I have learned from the mistakes I’ve made here. 

@Kaye65 This person is massive trouble. I would at least attempt to get Airbnb to cancel the booking, based on the questions about cameras and how close you live. As long as those were on platform. If not, you're out of luck, as no proof. Those questions are enough to indicate the guest may be planning a party, as do questions about balloons and cake and decorations. In fact, it's almost a surety a party is planned. I hope you live close to your listing and that you do have cameras, if the stay goes ahead. You need to show up the minute the first unauthorized guest arrives.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/259/if-a-guest-makes-you-uncomfortable

Even just the storm of messages is harassment and that could have helped you cancel penalty free, but as they were mostly off platform, you're out of luck again. Always stay on platform.

@Kaye65  You should have moved to have her reservation cancelled after about the 15th message.  

If there was still time, I would move to have Airbnb cancel the reservation.  If not, follow @Anonymous  advice to set some boundaries in person with her, that she seems to have misunderstood the property and it does not come with any free concierge services.  You could also follow @Helen3  advice and tell her that going forward any concierge services will be charged at XX hourly rate.

Let this be a lesson to you that you need to establish firm boundaries early on with people like this women.  Good grief, asked if you could change the colors of the house??????? 

ETA @Colleen253  is right, the questions about the property are red flags that she's going to be doing something unauthorized like throwing herself a giant anniversary party at your listing.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kaye65  "Do you have cameras at the house? How far do you live from the house?"

She's planning to throw a giant party and your house will be trashed. I wouldn't even consider letting this booking go through. Get it cancelled one way or another ASAP.