Any help or advice gratefully received regarding getting rid of strong perfume scent

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

Any help or advice gratefully received regarding getting rid of strong perfume scent

Hi all,

If anyone can give me any advice about getting rid of extremely strong perfume scent, that would be really appreciated.  

We have just had a lovely couple to stay that left early this morning.  They left everything perfect but there is a really overpowering smell of scent left.  They did have a young pup with them, which we happily accept at our cottage and I have an inkling that maybe and only maybe they have sprayed scent around to cover a possible accident with young pup.  There are no stains on the carpet or anywhere else, but I have had all doors and windows open all day and have just been back in and it is still overpowering.  Luckily we don't have anymore guests until Friday due to the time I leave (because of covid) between guests.  

I am at a bit of a loss what to do about the smell.  Obviously will air constantly but I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this before and had any advice.  

Many thanks

Ruth 

15 Replies 15
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Ruth413 ,

Coffee beans are a good air neutralizer.

Just pop some in an open bowl in the room

Open the window to let the fresh air blow away the odor quickly.

The smell gets stuck to the soft furnishings like beds, carpets etc- you might have to wash them to get rid of the nasty smell.

Hope it helps.   

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Other hosts report, that in such a case an ozonizer is of great help. But you have to remove any animals/humans and plants first.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Ruth413   You can try leaving several bowls of either coffee or white vinegar inside the area.  However, I have found that a commercial ozone machine works wonders on heavy perfumes, smoke and pet odors in just two or three hours.  Here is the one that I purchased in the US -- perhaps there is something comparable in the UK.

ozone.JPG

Yes, I'm with you!! The ozone generator works perfectly for me too. I had many problems with the smells impregnated in linens and curtains, mainly by cigarette smoke, left by unconscious guests; recent smells cooked or roasted kitchen meals; perfumes and odors retained by carpets. Some guests came to cancel when they arrived and breathed the atmosphere. The ozone generator solved the problem for me, only that it needs more cleaning operation time in addition to ventilating the house for about 15 or 20 minutes. If you use a fan, it helps to ventilate faster. The ozone generator has a strong presence. There are different capabilities and technologies. A standard one is enough. The cost ranges from $60 to $100 US. (Amazon.com) I recommend it

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Dale711 @Lorna170 @Till-and-Jutta0   Thank you for all the advice.  I think I have narrowed it down to a rug in the kitchen, now airing outside ! and will probably buy a new one and the stairs I think.  Never heard of the coffee bean thing or white vinegar, but will definitely give it a try.  Last solution is to hire a carpet cleaner on Wednesday !  Going to give it 24 hours with suggestions and will definitely look into the ozone gadget.

Anything apart from carpets and sofa covers have been taken out (it is that bad !) and tomorrow I will remove sofa covers and wash.  

Such a shame as lovely guests, but now wondering whether to put into rules - if dog has accident, try not to hide it with scent !  

Thanks.  Ruth 

Hi @Ruth413 ,

https://www.pairfum.com/the-fairy-tale-of-the-perfume-wizard-and-the-magic-coffee-beans/

The Magic Coffee BeanThe Magic Coffee Bean

Happy Hosting 😊

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ruth413  Check the filter in your heating system, if you have one. It may be retaining the perfume smell, if so, you need to replace it. No amount of carpet cleaning will help if this is the case.

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 Thanks for the advice.  I'm afraid the heating system is nearly as old (not quite) as the cottage so no such thing as a filtration system. Really old fashioned oil fired central heating, although we do have a couple of extra electric wall heaters in there too as back up.  This weekend has been glorious sunshine (in the U.K. aspect), so I don't think they will have used them but will check them out to see if they have some type of filters in them.  Thanks for the tip though.  

@Ruth413 

if I were you I would ask my guest where she sprayed it.

Faizan9
Level 2
Islamabad, Pakistan

Well i use an incense burner or burn a piece of oud wood

Airbnb Islamabad

@Faizan9  That seems like it just layers one scent over another, rather than eliminating an odor. 

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Ruth413 not sure if they sell Febreze in the UK. If they do it has its own smell but I find if you spray it on all fabric surfaces and leave the windows open it does a great job removing smells.

febreze.png

Jorge
Jennifer1773
Level 10
Brevard, NC

Hi @Ruth413 , I have had good luck with bags of charcoal for removing odors (and moisture too). Buy the cheapest bags you can (definitely without lighter fluid added :), take out some aggressions by hitting them with a mallet to crush the briquettes, lay the bag down on its side, cut open the bag in a large x pattern toward the ceiling and open it to the air. Place the bags in rooms or closets throughout the house. Am also a big fan of open windows and vinegar...

Good luck! Jennifer

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ruth413 Try generously sprinkling baking soda on the carpet and leave for a few hours or overnight, then vacuum.