Anyone else having a problem with smoking

Answered!
Katie193
Level 4
San Diego, CA

Anyone else having a problem with smoking

I am looking for other people who might be interested in class action suit against Airbnb for allowing guests to break our rules and not support us in upholding agreements that were made on their site. Myself and a few other hosts I know have had people smoke in our Airbnb rooms and have gotten no support from the resolution centre.

We have it very clearly written in our rules that there is no smoking and there will be a fine if there is, yet the guest has broken the house rules and smoked anyway. I had a guest upstairs that texted me she smelled smoke and my cleaners texted me the room wreaked, and when I got home 4 hours later after the room had been cleaned and aired out, it still wreaked. I sent all documentation to the resolution centre, but Airbnb sided with the guest who lied about smoking.

Please let me know if you might be interested in a class action suit or media story. It is a dangerous precedent for Airbnb to set to allow guests to get away with breaking house rules. It is very disrespectful of Airbnb to disregard the house rules we set up as hosts to keep our homes safe and be able to keep offering our spaces.

1 Best Answer
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Katie193,

You'd probably first have to challenge the class action waiver contained in the Airbnb terms of service that apply on using their services.

The link below is to their terms of service.

terms of service

19.11 No Class Actions or Representative Proceedings. You and Airbnb acknowledge and agree that we are each waiving the right to participate as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class action lawsuit, class-wide arbitration, private attorney-general action, or any other representative proceeding as to all Disputes. Further, unless you and Airbnb both otherwise agree in writing, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one party’s claims and may not otherwise preside over any form of any class or representative proceeding. If this paragraph is held unenforceable with respect to any Dispute, then the entirety of the Arbitration Agreement will be deemed void with respect to such Dispute.

View Best Answer in original post

30 Replies 30
Phil82
Level 4
Adelaide, Australia

Please support my post for adding a  check-box to guests and hosts pages re whether they smoke or not, so that they get matched appropriately. 

Self matching clearly isn't working.

** Write in your review whether the guest or host was a smoker and how respctful they were or not of you and your property with respect to their smoking habit. **

Also keep sending messages to AirBnB support to request they add this feature.

They will get the message if we keep asking for it.

Never give up on this and it WILL happen.

Cheers,

Phil

🙂