App hacked

Answered!
Stephen1838
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

App hacked

My app had Chinese writing on the app icon. 

When I opened it it asked me to sign a new disclosure agreement which would allow my information to be shared with China. 

I deleted the app from my phone. 

What else should I do?

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Stephen1838 and everyone else on this thread @Joelle43 @Till-and-Jutta0 @Luka531 @Lea3220,

Thank you all so much for sharing this, and for your patience as the team worked on this issue. We are pleased to share that this has now been resolved - you can return your app icon to its normal state by uninstalling the app from your device and downloading it again from the GooglePlay Store.  

If your device does not have access to the GooglePlay Store, we advise you to use the Airbnb platform via your chosen device web browser, or a desktop machine.

Many thanks,

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

26 Replies 26
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Looked like this?

App.jpg

Yes my app changed to the one shown in your screenshot 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Stephen1838, thank you so much for reporting this. Our team has been made aware of this issue and are currently investigating. I have passed on the feedback from you and @Till-and-Jutta0 to them as well. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy I have the same issue. Please let us know what to do to be sure everything is ok. 

Thank you

Best regards

Aleš

Same issue for me. Is this hacking? 

Anna16014
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Same here

Same also here. Tried deleting the app and downloading it again, but the problem reappeared. 

Thank you! 

Kind regards, 

Paola 

Hello @Quincy 

Just to let you know that many French hosts are also talking about this and all seem to be using an Huawei phone.

Andy-and-Janine0
Level 2
Macclesfield, United Kingdom

Do you have an update on this please?  I also have the same issue.  I am also on a Huawei phone.  W need to understand if our data is under threat.

Hey Qunicy - I also have an Huawei phone and the new icon appeared - when I opened the app to check it I also received the disclosure agreement message @Stephen1838 mentioned - I wasn't paying much attention in that moment so I accepted it - does that mean that my data is compromised now? Please let me know - I reinstalled and changed the password - is there anything else I should do? 

same here

Ffion2
Level 1
Swansea, United Kingdom

I am having the exact same problem. Deleting and downloading the app again isn't working, sadly

Karolina210
Level 1
Münster, Germany

Hello, it's the same for me as well. I would love an update on how to handle this issue! 

Thank you. 

Ed333
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

UK host here, also Huawei phone, same issue, also deleted the app. Very sus