Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Are guests getting more difficult?

Catherine281
Level 3
Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe, United Kingdom

Are guests getting more difficult?

Hi, I have been hosting for over 6 years on multi properties now and have found the guests are getting more demanding. Is anyone else finding that? Literally, one last guest seemed to think I was both a concierge and also at their beck and call re extra towels, etc. I provide a super-sized bath sheet - which comes from a professional laundry and costs me £2 per sheet - per guest - what do you go when a guest asks for another one? Up till now, I have given one but margins are so tight now that I am going to stop. However, you then run the risk of a bad review. I think guests know that they can just ask and ask these days with the threat of a bad review in the air otherwise...and f hosting is your profession risks losing super host and prominent listings/ Do you think Airbnb has shifted to wanting guests more than hosts....

59 Replies 59

@Colleen253  That makes sense.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 

This makes sense, but depends on the length of hair. I have tried these myself (really wanted to like them) but they are not sufficient for my long hair at all. I think they would probably be really useful though for people with short or medium length hair.

@Huma0 my daughter has long thick hair and she was the one who got me on to them. Too bad they didn’t work for you

:frowning_face: I am just glad they’ve solved my towel headaches!

that's very kind of you, do any of them ever go walking? 

Helen@744 Target and Kmart apparently. H

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

I offer something similar. Usually at least two of each bath towels/bath sheets, hand towels and wash cloths. Not all guests use all of them (even though I host long term) but there are more if they need them and also the opportunity to wash what they already have. 

One towel per guest is okay I guess if it's a one or two night stay, but after that, it's certainly not enough. Having long hair myself, a minimum of two towels is greatly appreciated.

yes only one large towel pp. and I have a few spares in the cupboard, just smaller white basic towels, aka hair drying towels!    

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

Funny just today i was wondering what is wrong with people. 
5 inquiries. 
5 people wanting early check-in, and 2. of them wanting late checkout. As they explain: they are coming for a wedding so they won't get to enjoy the space much, so they want more time..... um. hmmm. ok. 
I try to accommodate where I can but it's tedious to explain to them that we aren't a hotel, they are checking in or out of a room that another guest has booked before or after them. 
I did have one guest offer to pay extra for late check out, although i've no clue how much that would be, so i said to just wait and i'll let him know the day before. 

@Gillian166  These late checkout people are being ridiculous. If you want to depart late the next day, you simply book the extra night and leave when you please. 

i find it weird, cos i reckon the "late checkout" thing is just so they can sleep in ... IMHO that's wasted money. they should be up, packed and out exploring, not sleeping. you can do that at home.  100% of my guests have their own car, majority of my bookings are one night, sometimes 2, (sometimes longer during school hols). 

I'm actually shocked by the people who book, tell me they'll arrive at 2pm, then don't turn up til 8 or 9pm. so they miss the whole afternoon on the farm, arrive in the dark, and then sleep in and rush out by 10am. I fear they will find our farmstay a bit expensive in that case, but why should I give them late checkout because they are unorganised in their own lives? 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

I've had guests make a huge fuss because I couldn't do an early check in for them (mine is from 3pm) and then not arrive until night time without bothering to inform me. Those kinds of guests are more likely to leave lower star ratings. It's got nothing to do with you. Like you said, they are disorganised in their own lives and sometimes will take it out on others, e.g. their host.

Helen @744 exactly. I travel with my son who has a disability which prevents him leaving any house ,more specifically the bathroom before at least midday. It jangles my nerves  to rush him ,and his ,so I always book an extra night then we leave the previous evening. this works for us when we stay with family as well. We travel at night , but my guests have a time to leave so unless they ask then I expect them to leave at ten . I will allow an extra hour if I am caught up and do not have an early checkin or some other issue that means my cleaning time is longer as I do not enter until one hour after the guest has left and then leave another hour to air the house . even this sometimes comes undone as guests often say ,of i will be in at five or four or eight and then turn around and arrive at two . so if i do not have enough time then . sorry . H

@Gillian166  While I understand that many hosts are intent on booking as many nights as possible, my attitude is that my time, stress and aggravation level have value. 

So I have always had one day prep time between bookings. My check-in time is 11am-11pm and check-out by 4pm.  That still leaves me enough time to clean the guest space if I have another guest checking in the following day, and in fact most guests are gone by noon.

In my location,  I do not get guests driving here unless they rented a car at the airport. Most are flying (the airport is an hour away, then they take a bus here) or busing from elsewhere in Mexico. So few actually arrive until mid-late afternoon, anyway. 

Those check-in, check-out times mean that I have never had to field requests or be pressured to get in early or leave late. Only a few times have guests  arrived after 11pm, and that was no fault of their own- it was due to flight delays and as they were great about keeping me in the loop- "My flight's delayed by 2 hours", "They just told us it will be another hour", "Plane is still sitting on the tarmac", I had no issue with accommodating them.

The only pre-11am check-ins I have had were one where the guest's flight had mechanical trouble, had to turn around, and all the passengers were rebooked to a red-eye, meaning she arrived the next morning at 8am, and a guest who told me her bus was getting in at 9am, but she realized that was too early to check-in, so she'd find a café to hang out in. Because she was so respectful and I had already prepared her room, I told her 9am was fine to come over.

My hosting attitide has always been that a few less nights booked is a fair trade-off for not having to deal with guests asking for things outside my settings, or rushing to clean and prepare the space. And as most of my bookings average a week- 10 days, that one night prep time block doesn't amount to that many blocked nights. 

@Sarah977 wrote:

Because she was so respectful and I had already prepared her room, I told her 9am was fine to come over.

Agree! a guest who is that courteous is a good person. 

@Sarah977 wrote:

@Gillian166  While I understand that many hosts are intent on booking as many nights as possible, my attitude is that my time, stress and aggravation level have value. 

yes, i hear you, but we want to put in a pool heating system, and it's looking like it's going to cost $10K..... so right now we are indeed trying to book as many nights as we can!