Are you available 7*24 for your guests ?

Angelika208
Level 3
Quintana Roo, Mexico

Are you available 7*24 for your guests ?

I love my Smartphone function "Do Not Disturb" in the night...

But I am asking myself how other hosts deal with the situation that guests may have a severe problem, e.g. loosing their keys and need help in the night to get in to the rental place.
Are you always available for your guests ?
I think we are not a hotel with 7*24 reception.
I could find any suggestions for this or any Airbnb rules for this.

I am always available for my guests on their Check In day until I know they are safe in my place, and on Check Out day if they have problems with checking out (e.g. safe does not open), and during the day I also have always my phone with me, but I dont want to be disturbed in the night. (Its not only guests who may try to call me ...)
Many thanks for your suggestions !

3 Replies 3
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

I doesnt happen often but I am always available my phone is turned on, One time the guest had lost the keycard she called me at 12-30 am good job she didnt lose he phone.

Other than that I got a message at 2-30 in the morning asking where are the toothbrushes,

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

I turn my phone to Do Not Disturb at night also.  However, I also realise that guests need to be able to contact me in an emergency. 

To this end, I alway enter the guest's phone number as an allowed caller, i.e. one who is not barred by the DND function.  I tell my guests this and make sure they understand that it is only that one phone number that my phone will recognise.  I also stress that they are not to abuse the privilege by phoning for non-urgent matters.

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Angelika208 If only emergencies had a time when they occur—NOT. At 12:55 this morning, the smoke alarm went off in my studio apt. It was truly loud—the first time it went off in almost 2 years. I was so discombobulated, I thought it was the security system until I smelled something charred. I immediately called my guest (2-month stay) to see if he was in because I thought something may have been left on the stove. The smoke alarm finally stopped. He said he burned something while cooking. His work shift had changed and he now gets in around midnight. . I asked if he was ok—yes he was—and asked him to open a window.

Now, I called him before he called me but thank goodness he didn’t have DND on or I would have had to enter the unit. Also, for this reason alone I will not have DND turned on but I really like @Louise0 idea and will commence doing that today.