August Smart Lock App and upcoming guest access to door coding mid-July 2021

Denis130
Level 5
Lincoln City, OR

August Smart Lock App and upcoming guest access to door coding mid-July 2021

Not confident this is a good idea as far as security is concerned.  Need more information on how this will work.

I have and utilize, for my guests, the August Lock mechanism and App for all my guests because keys can be lost and/or improperly duplicated.  Giving away my door code accomplishes the same as having a vulnerable key, even if only for the duration of a guest's stay.  The guest can then freely share the code with anyone, who may not be of my choosing.  Will I control the code before or after a guest leaves?

I do, rarely, give my door access code to some folks, who are usually non-technical, and seem to struggle too much trying to activate the August Lock App.  When I do, I change the code just prior to check-in and also following their check-out.

My preference is using only the Smart phone access (not portable code or key), because even bad guys are reluctant to give their personal phones to someone else, even if it's their spouse, friend/cohort or other family member.  My security is in their own possessive nature for their own phone, and as a consequence I can pretty much count only them being able to access my home and get identified as such whenever they enter/exit.

Suspicious this option is being made due to August's apparent inability to solve frequent connectivity issues with Smart phones that are not iPhones.

Going to "manage your connected apps" offers no answers
5 Replies 5
Marissa160
Level 10
Dallas, TX

@Denis130 Hi! What is your exact question? I have the app and the keypad, maybe I can help. 

Airbnb sent email stating mid July August will begin sending emails to guests front door access codes, without any detail.  I prefer to control who gets a code but email doesn't explain any detail so can only assume all guests will now get a door code, rather than access tied to their phones.

I was not clear.  My point was that giving guests the code to my front door was equivalent to giving them a key, which can be passed along to others.

Neill23
Level 2
Airdrie, Canada

Hi @Denis130 

We installed an August fourth gen lock + keypad just under a month ago, and linked it to our ABB account.

August auto-generates the guest code as well as sets the time for when the code will be active to match exactly check-in and check-out times.  (I typically will edit the temporary period to allow for 30 minutes grace period at check-out).  The codes auto-delete when the guest's stay is over.

Here is the message that gets auto-sent immediately after accepting a reservation request (we do not have Instant book turned on).

Airbnb has partnered with Yale Access / August Home and your Host to make access to your rental easier. Your Airbnb rental is equipped with a smart lock that gives you property access in two ways: first by simply entering an access code on a keypad or secondly if you prefer, by using our mobile application.

Your access code is nnnnn. Your access will be active for the duration of your stay: Wed, Sep 1, 2021 5:00 PM to Sat, Sep 4, 2021 11:00 AM.

We recommend guests download the August Home app. Instructions on downloading the app are available here - https://support.august.com/how-to-download-the-august-app-rJrU8C3b8.

Virtual keys offer better security and easier access. However, if you are not interested in virtual keys or you do not have a compatible smartphone, please contact your Airbnb Host to make alternative arrangements to access the property.

For further instructions on using your code, click here - https://support.august.com/airbnb-integration-faq-B1YAULkC_z.

We chose to install the keypad because a few of our early guests had suggested that they were most comfortable with a code instead of a smartphone app, and we have literally had one guest attempt to download and use the app on their smartphone.  He was unable to do so, likely because his booking occurred prior to us integrating ABB and August.

Overall we have been very pleased - we make sure that we are in communication with guests right away at booking, with a version of this message right after the auto-gen message gets sent:
The message above is auto-generated by ABB. We have linked our front door August smartlock to ABB, and your door code is included.

I will send some additional details regarding the lock. We installed it in early August, and the feedback has been positive with regards to usage and ease of check in.

and then a day or two prior to check-in I re-send the code with instructions on entering nnnnn + the red logo button on the keypad, along with a brief explanation of one-touch locking and the associated sounds that the deadbolt and keypad make for successful/unsuccessful code entries.

We'd recommend this setup to anyone in a heartbeat.

Mark,

After posting my initial concern for August providing my door code to guests, I had an opportunity to chat with August representative who said I would be given the option of not allowing guest access to my home using access code, so as a consequence this issue is mute, from  my perspective.