Australia: proof of vaccination

Monique837
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

Australia: proof of vaccination

How are Australian hosts requesting proof of vaccination? It’s something I want to add to my house rules and request. Am I within my rights? Is there a way to request this politely?

7 Replies 7
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Monique837

Very good question, one that I'd also like to know the answer to. I assume you would be within your rights to require it. I'm guessing that soon we'll probably have an app or something to show proof of vaccination because it may become a criteria for many things. Perhaps for now you should just put it on your listing and then mention it again when people book. I don't think you need to be super polite - it's your health and wellbeing we're talking about. Just be direct: 'Please note that to protect the health of your host and other guests,  proof of vaccination is required when booking'. If they don't want to get vaccinated, I'm sure there are plenty of other places they can stay.

@Monique837   If your local laws allow businesses to require customers to present proof of vaccination on arrival, you can also do so as a host. But I think you'd run into problems if you asked guests to transmit personal documents digitally before their check-in date.

Enforcement of this rule could get a little thorny, since it's not explicitly supported by Airbnb. If you cancel a booking due to a guest's vaccination status, it's unclear whether Airbnb would grant you an exemption from the penalties. And if you refuse entry to guests who fail to show their documents at check-in, you'd have to forfeit your payout for the booking, and the guest would still have the right to publish a review. 

@Anonymous and @Monique837  Unfortunately you can't request certificates or any form of proof of vaccination prior to booking according to 'Expert Support'.   I tried that and my email was blocked but it is our property and our health that we are trying to look after and if we believe in vaccinations then we have every right to ask for proof from guests.

All care but no responsibility from Airbnb which is disappointing and I would have thought over the last 18 mths they would have had time to update their website and look after their hosts, we are afterall their customers which they seem to have forgotten.

On our profile  "Guests are required to be double vaccinated upon arrival to the property and be able to show vaccination certificate when requested."  I advise this in the initial enquiry so they are aware and if I hear nothing back and they don't confirm status then I decline the booking.

@Suellen-and-Lou0 It would have been pretty nifty if Airbnb had developed a verification system for vaccination certificates, so members could add them to their accounts like Verified ID. But I can't imagine them throwing all the resources that would require at a feature that doesn't increase profits. 

So no, you can't ask guests to send you a copy of private documents before booking - if you want to uphold the requirement, you have to check the certificates on arrival. That's exactly what the staff at hotels, restaurants, and ticketed events are doing with their booked customers here; is it different in Australia?

@Anonymous @Hi there, I never asked for guests to send paperwork all I asked for was a tick box whether the guest is vaccinated or not and I hope guests can be honest.  

It’s a simple request and I’m sure someone with coding tech could manage to add that quite quickly, then no hard questions need to be had on arrival.

It can’t always be about the bottom line, we have feedback here for a reason, let’s make it positive in protecting all.

And no it’s not different in Australia but I’m asking Airbnb to take some responsibility and listen to their clients, I doubt this is unreasonable.

@Suellen-and-Lou0 Honestly, the idea seemed more practical a few months ago than it does now. The definition of "fully vaccinated" has turned out to be pretty slippery, considering that immunity recedes over time at different degrees. Some localities will soon require booster shots to qualify as vaccinated, some won't; some countries consider proof of recovery from a recent infection to be an acceptable substitute while others don't.

And while some individuals, perhaps including yourself, believe that voluntary self-reporting via tickbox is a meaningful gesture, I personally don't see the point of it if it isn't backed up by verification. "Just hope people will be honest" is one thing when you're having friends over for dinner, but I don't think Honor Code is an acceptable standard for the web service that processes your payments and delivers strangers into your home. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Suellen-and-Lou0  Unfortunately, offering guests a tick box attesting that they are vaccinated, and assuming guests will be honest, seems a bit naive. 

Anti-vaxers are notorious for lying about their status if it enables them to go where they want to, have falsified vaccination papers, and tried to force their way into establishments that inform them they aren't allowed in.

It makes much more sense to state a requirement for being vaccinated in your listing info, communicate about it when guests first book or request to book, and letting them know you will require proof on arrival. 

I wouldn't trust the honor system on this.