Awaiting guest ID

Nick1866
Level 4
Limerick, Ireland

Awaiting guest ID

Hi there,

I know other hosts have raised this in the past, but I just wanted to flag it again to see if anyone has a workaround to this?

For the last two days I have had a reservation on my calendar where the guest is awaiting ID for a booking for two days, tomorrow (December 13) and Wednesday (December 14).

The guest attempted to make the reservation yesterday. It lapsed this morning because the guest had not responded to the request for ID. But the same guest then went and tried to book again.

It's meant that for the best part of two days, my calendar has been locked down and I've been unable to accept reservations.

As one host said before on here, how is it fair that one "potential guest" can handcuff my booking system?

I've attempted to message the guest on three occasions, offering to help intercede with Airbnb on the identity, but with no answer.

The latest window for the guest to provide ID information closes at 10pm  tonight.

On a call at lunchtime today, Airbnb suggested once this happens, I can block the guest from booking. But tonight, when I called them again, I was told I can only block if a guest has taken the time to message me. Then I can complain about the content of their message. Even if there is technically nothing wrong with it.

Both times I spoke with the Airbnb agent, they were very sympathetic, but ultimately said they could do nothing.

It may sound a bit conspiratorial, and I'm not suggesting I would necessarily subscribe to this theory, but in a competitive hosting market, there would be nothing to stop a rival creating an account, and block booking their competitors homes, in doing so, denying them business.

Anyway, thoughts/tips always welcome - has anyone else had an experience like this?

- Nick

6 Replies 6
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Nick 1866 Its an unusual thing to happen for sure. I wonder if your rules are covering guests ,over 25 , because those who have no id are often without proper ID has been my experience , because they are underage. So I would make it clear that your house is not a party house and only those over 25 should book.    H

Andrea-and-Glenn0
Level 10
Mill Bay, Canada

@Nick1866  Unfortunately AirBnb allows this type of transaction and gives the “potential guest” 12 hours to update their profile. I have also had “awaiting payment” as a reason for the “12 hour hold for a potential booking”

As a Superhost I called the helpline and was immediately assisted by a sympathetic agent who assisted in unblocking our availability calendar in the process.

As a host, I believe the “potential guest” with Airbnb account issues, should not handcuff AirBnb hosts for 12 hours. This has continued to happen in our case, and most times the guest ends up going away and not booking, so it’s a waste of hosts time. 

Hope it works out for you/Glenn

@Bhumika  can you or your team provide and insight or advice to Hosts that are experiencing the 12 hour hold on a potential bookings by a potential guests that have an incomplete profile that is “Awaiting Guest Identification”

Thanks

Hello @Andrea-and-Glenn0 ,

This is an interesting query and I will surely pass it on to the team who can provide some answers to this. Please let me get back to you later, as I do not have any information regarding this as of now.  

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Nick1866 @Bhumika do we have any additional information or details regarding this issues?

Is this just a policy that we are forced to accept? I think it’s unacceptable for hosts to be forced to wait while a potential guest gets their identification or payment details in order. 

This must be an especially irritating glitch in the system for those hosts who use multiple booking sites.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

nick1866 its simple , dont accept the guest if their money is not already paid if it is IB.Or if they have a start date block one of the days as well ,then they cannot book..... Let them book when their ready and cashed up ,  or Id,ed, not before..... Should not happen , do not use the button that says you give them 24 hours .... Lots of people use it and never get back to you ... H