Awaiting payment - guest gets to stay free loophole

Answered!
Jay2062
Level 2
Las Piñas, Philippines

Awaiting payment - guest gets to stay free loophole

Scenario:

A guest made a 1-night booking on the same day. Booking was confirmed as "awaiting payment" (to be cancelled within 24 hours if not acted upon).

Booking was made at almost check-in time of 2pm, and the Guest arrived.

Then the Guest checks out at 11am next day without arranging payment details.

By 2pm, 24 hours has passed - that booking will be cancelled automatically by AirnBNB and won't be able to collect payments.

Guest gets a free stay overnight.

AirBNB needs to fix this.

My workaround solution at the moment is to collect cash payments (sorry AirBNB, until you sort this loophole) before allowing guest inside my guesthouse. The only issue is that if the guest decided not to pay, then the host loses 1 night of cancelled booking.

If you have a better workaround/solution, please share.

Thanks.

1 Best Answer

@Jay2062 

So sorry that happened to you ! A few years ago there was an epidemic of this in various locations. The solution some of us found was to not take same day bookings. That's the only suggestion I can offer. 

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7

@Jay2062 

So sorry that happened to you ! A few years ago there was an epidemic of this in various locations. The solution some of us found was to not take same day bookings. That's the only suggestion I can offer. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The easiest way to avoid this is by not accepting same day bookings @Jay2062 

By the way @Jay2062  Airbnb asks hosts to include a photograph of themselves as their profile picture not use avatars or logos as it instils trust.

Airbnb is requiring that hosts display a profile  photo similar to that shown  on one's driver's license or passport.  

In all fairness and the safety of hosts it's time that Airbnb have the same requirement of guests when a booking is accepted.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Unfortunately many hosts use a logo or image that is not a photo of themselves @Shirley26  . 

You can see the guests profile photo once the book. (If you tick the box on your listing saying you only accept bookings from guests with profile photos)

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jay2062 If the guest hasn't paid then the guest doesn't stay. Simple really and I am sure the guest would pay if they didn't have anywhere to stay.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Jay2062,

I came across your post and wanted to ask if you have had the chance to take a look at our member's suggestion. What do you think about it? Does it look like something you would implement in your listing?

Please do let us know.

Paula

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Hi Paula,

It's a workaround that could work but in my area of listing where most of my guests book within less than 24 hours, I can lose potential booking.

Thanks,

Jay