Bad Cancellation Policy by Airbnb

Brenda1339
Level 2
Carrying Place, Canada

Bad Cancellation Policy by Airbnb

We had a cruise booked in May 2023 with a stay at an Airbnb in Barcelona, Spain for a few nights.  Due to illness I had to cancel our cruise and reservation at the Airbnb.  The policy stated that I would receive 50% back if cancelled within a specific time frame.  I did cancel within that time.  In 2021 we received a credit for $250.00 for an Airbnb booking that we had to cancel as it was not satisfactory (photos were not the same as the apartment, etc.).  We used this credit as part of the cost for the Barcelona booking.

When the refund was calculated, Airbnb took the $250.00 credit off the refund first, and then only gave us back the money that was left on the refund.  So, for a $680.00 reservation, I only received $57.58 refund.

I think that is a self serving policy for Airbnb to have, and every guest should be warned ahead of time.  We will not travel with Airbnb reservations ever again.

15 Replies 15
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

You got a $57.58 refund, but you also still have the $250 credit for a future trip, right? That’s the only thing I can think of that makes any sense.

Brenda1339
Level 2
Carrying Place, Canada

No, the time limit to use it had run out.

@Brenda1339 Ah - the expiry date might put a different perspective on things. I know you didn't do this but if all people had to do to get around an expiry date was to book and then cancel a stay it would cause issues for the system.

I'm not sure how that has any effect, but I knew when I booked using the credit, that we would not get the credit back if we cancelled.  We did not plan on cancelling.  It was stated when we used it.  The expiry was May 2023.  My only complaint is that our share of the 50% refund was not given to us.

Thank you for your input though.  I have known Airbnb to be fair up to this  point, but was very surprised at their policy concerning this and think others should have fair warning.

@Brenda1339 You should have got the cleaning fee back as well as  anything due under the cancellation policy. I wonder if you just got the cleaning fee and 0% of the rest.

Can you itemise the payment etc and confirm how far in advance you cancelled? Something feels wrong here....

Here is the breakdown:  I sent this information as feedback to Airbnb after their decision. 

According to policy, 50% refund was available if cancelled by April 27, 2023.

On April 25, 2023 I had to cancel our reservation as I became ill.

The breakdown of the fees paid and reimbursed are below:

3 nights at $186.51 = $559.53

Cleaning fee = $36.15

Service fee = $84.09

Total Paid = $679.77

This was paid with credit card $363.87 and $57.57 = $421.44

I also used a coupon for $258.33 that was provided to me by Airbnb for an unacceptable condition reservation in May 2022 in Lyon, France.  It was issued to assist us with finding last minute accommodations.

The refund is 50% of each night, or $279.76 plus cleaning fee of $36.15 = $315.91.  This is the amount that I should be receiving back.

I was told that they would be crediting the coupon first, and then me second, so that I only received $57.58 ($315.91-$258.33=$57.58).  Airbnb credited themselves with the cancellation refund to a coupon that was given me.  In total I had to pay $363.87 for a reservation that was cancelled in good time. 

Hope that helps!

I appreciate your input!

@Brenda1339 It helps but IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!

Any way I look at it you have been royally stiffed (as we say in England because we have a monarchy).

I wonder if @Sybe could tweak Customer Support and ask them to explain why you have been so short changed.

Ooops - Just noticed you have a monarchy as well.

Thank you, I appreciate the support.  I was just told that's the way it is.  I thought I was getting stiffed as well.  And yes, we support the monarchy!

@Brenda1339 Did the credit come with terms and conditions? If not (or they re wrongly applied) you could ask for a chargeback on your credit card for 50% of the booking OR you could take Airbnb to the small claims court

It only said it had to be used by May 17, 2023 and could not be combined with other offers or used for past or existing bookings.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Brenda1339 I can only agree with you. The Airbnb policy of not refunding (even as credit) a booking made with a credit seems very unfair. Especially unfair in the case where Airbnb decides to fully remove the credit first and then apply any cancellation policy.

Brenda1339
Level 2
Carrying Place, Canada

Also, I did not rate poorly (or, at all), the host since it was not their decision on how to refund the fees paid.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Brenda1339 , 

Hope you are doing well and are in good health!

Given the nature of the situation, I wanted to share these resources that talk about Finding your refund amount and Refunds for cancellations.

Did you also reach out to the Customer Support team to have it clarified further?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines