Bad Dog!!! And how to review their owner?

Answered!
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Bad Dog!!! And how to review their owner?

Okay, the dog wasn't really bad: the owners were't so responsible, though.

We had a couple stay with us who had nothing but glowing reviews. They stayed with us for one night, and they left a mess. There  muddy dog paw prints on everything: the couch, the futon, the bed, the floors were disgusting, and they wiped the dog's paws off on our bathmat and towels, including facecloths. It was just gross. We do have rags and other cloths available for this kind of thing, which they obviously didn't use at all.

What also gets me is that they didn't apologize or even mention it. I'm still kind of annoyed a few days later, and I keep writing the review then not posting it because it feels churlish, but it was so dirty! We've hosted many dogs, and no one has ever left a mess like this, even during the winter when there is snow, or when the stay has been weeks long. It just feels like they were extremely disrespectful.

So any tips? I don't want to use "better suited to a hotel".  So far, I have:

Blank and blank communicated well. They were okay guests overall: there was some extra cleaning after their one-night stay due to their dog, with muddy paw marks left on soft furnishings and other amenities. I would host again without the dog, or if more respect was agreed to be given to the space.

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alexandra316  It really amazes me how many people there seem to be who have zero compunction about blatantly lying. It's quite dismaying. And then to state that it was wet and muddy for their 7 day road trip, as if that has anything to do with allowing a muddy dog to get upon someone else's furniture and bed linens. How do people like this expect anyone to believe that the host is lying? What would be the point of a host lying about a guest's behavior, unless possibly one was an unscrupulous host who trying to bogusly charge the guest for damaged items. 

View Best Answer in original post

47 Replies 47

That's the tough part about allowing pets. My wife and I just started our Airbnb two months ago, and the first thing we decided on was no pets. We love animals, we have two dogs and two cats, however, our Airbnb is in a private guest suite on the basment level of our home, so our animals are never there. And, with so many people having allergies, we thought pets might end up being more trouble. Maybe have them put down a deposit for each pet? Even a non refundable one, so you use that money to clean up any future messes. 

@Kevin-and-Desiree0 We've always hosted dogs, and most of them have been absolutely great, so I'm loathe to stop allowing them overall. One thing that helps me is when other hosts mention the pet in their review so I know they're well behaved. I always mention dogs in my reviews so that other hosts know what to expect. Regarding an extra cleaning fee for pets, I don't like having to go back and charge people extra after the booking is made. I really wish that Airbnb would listen to hosts and allow you to take a pet fee as part of the booking process.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

I should also note that they actually complained in a previous review of a host that they had been charged a cleaning fee for the pet (it was stated in the listing). These are clearly the kind of people that these fees are MADE FOR.