Bad review removal

Jessica3421
Level 3
Lewistown, MT

Bad review removal

Hey all, we had a guest leave a bad review (they were very angry that it rained and they couldn't use the outdoor firepit) that AirBNb deemed  to be retaliatory and violate their review policy. It got removed immediately. Then a couple weeks later it appeared back again! I called, AirBNb removed it, then later that day it was back again. Have you guys had this happen? After honestly 5 calls, with each time the review being taken down, it keeps reappearing. What is going on?! So frustrating and time wasting as a host. 

25 Replies 25
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jessica3421 what did the review actually say? From what you described it is not retaliatory so the guest is probably getting it replaced every time you get it removed.

They complained that they couldn’t use the outdoor bbq because of the rain. They were frustrated by that & proceeded to list lots of things about the place that were inaccurate, ie that you have to walk a hill to get there (the house has step free handicap access), that there was no living room (there is & there are photos of it), that the listing was deceptive, etc. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Try them on their socials @Jessica3421 

@Helen3   You mean AirBnB, not the irate guest, right?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes of course 😁 @Lorna170 

Taking a bit of your advice 😁 Cheers 🥂 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jessica3421 None of this is retaliatory in Airbnb land. Also honesty and accuracy are not required in Airbnb reviews. There is no reason (in Airbnb land) to take down the review you describe.

If guest reviews have no basis in accuracy and no accountability, why do reviews impact a host so much? 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jessica3421 because the majority of guests will assume Airbnb doesn't allow lies in the reviews.

Well, you know what they say about those who assume… 

Exactly! Ratings are a direct impact bc that's how the world reviews everything and it's helpful. I agree there should be a comments section, & a few ratings to select but if there's issues abb should handle or between the host and guest to handle complaints. Every business gets hurt by someone who is usually pessimistic, dishonest, picky, selfish, ignorant and disrespectful. I've had my share of headaches bc we specifically created our listing for pet lovers and they don't always follow rules. I call these guests out by giving them bad ratings and notify abb. Also, I encourage hosts to turn off instant book, be selective,  and rate guests as they deserve. We need to get these bad  guests schooled. Thankfully, Airbnb has finally started to get better at protecting hosts.

Cheers you guys, I hear you and I agree. Part of this is life & accepting that our place isn’t for everyone. Guests will come through who don’t read, communicate, or see beyond their selfish ideas of what they deserve (ie that they deserve sunny weather for their bbq). 
It does seem to me that airBNb would benefit from ruling in favor of the host in cases of demonstrable guest inaccuracy. I’m certainly planning to remove instant book and to be more selective. Such a shame, because this is not a hard issue to solve with the slightest customer service effort. 

Can a guest keep petitioning to have a review reinstated? For how long? 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Jessica3421 I guess until you stop getting it taken down.