Be SURE to Engage With Scammers; You'll Pay For It If You DON'T!!

Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Be SURE to Engage With Scammers; You'll Pay For It If You DON'T!!

On Monday July 6th, 2020, I was contacted by a scammer with the following message, "Hello! We would like to book your accomodation through the airbnb but we will not check in.  A person is paid for accomodation, but he will live in another place.  You will take 40% of the payment to yourself and send me 60% after recieving money. write to telegrams @andr_osipov"  (Spelling left in original form.)

As it was obvious this was a scam, I declined their request, reported it to Airbnb and blocked them.  BIG MISTAKE!!!  My response rate immediately dropped to 75% and I have been trying for over 2 weeks now to get this adjusted to my previous rate of 100%.  Although I have been promised over and over and over and over that the problem is being "looked into", nothing has been resolved.  Instead, @Airbnb keeps closing the cases.  Then when I call, I'm told that I just reported the case and someone is looking into it.  I am ready to SCREAM as they closed the 3rd case this evening.  I was told that a technical case was opened 2 days ago.  I am on the phone with a customer support rep right now  (Harold, who will not give any last name or case number) who is telling me that indeed, it is a good idea to give the scammer the "benefit of the doubt".  Again,--the message, BE SURE TO ENGAGE WITH THE SCAMMER. 

I AM LIVID!!  I have been accused by @Airbnb of not declining the request, which I clearly did.  I've sent the screen shots below, which somehow, conveniently keep "getting lost". 

I truly have tried to be tolerant and patient as I'm sure they are short on staff due to COVID.  However, on the 16th day, (today), when my case was again closed without resolution, I've reached my limit.

No one has done anything.  However, if they do nothing, and I continue to respond (as I've always done), my response rate will continue to come up on it's own.  Great.  Thanks for nothing @Airbnb!

I was contacted by the scammer on Monday, July 6th, 2020.I was contacted by the scammer on Monday, July 6th, 2020.s I declined the scammer's offer, reported it and then blocked it.I declined the scammer's offer, reported it and then blocked it.As a result, my response rate dropped to 75%.As a result, my response rate dropped to 75%.

Julieanna
22 Replies 22

“she too used to be a host,)”

Every CS is, or used to be, a host 🙄 I imagine Airbnb thinks having them say that will instill some sense of commiseration and is a calming tactic. 

“Perhaps tomorrow she will have an answer....” 

No, she’ll have “gone on vacation” 🤣

@Colleen253 As far as I can gather, most of these CS reps seem to be in their early 20's. When were they hosts, when they were 15?

And why would a successful  host decide to quit hosting to apply for a job as an Airbnb CS rep? Doesn't exactly seem upwardly mobile to me.

@Sarah977 I’m pretty sure most were born hosting.

@Sarah977 The exact same thought crossed my mind too!  After today’s email, I’m pretty sure it’s an automated reply.  The email is almost exactly the same, word-for-word as the first email (several days ago) in which the CS claimed she used to be a “superhost.”  I’ve given up hope on any resolution.  Today was the 20th day since reporting the scam and nothing has changed. Same emails and excuses.

**[Private conversation removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

Julieanna

@Colleen253  Or, worse yet, I’m beginning to think these are just automated replies. No human involved. 

Julieanna
Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

After 34+ days, this was the response that I received from Airbnb support.  It truly is beyond my comprehension.  Obviously this representative never even read the original reason I called in.

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

Julieanna
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Julieanna0  When I get a clueless bot-response like from CS, this is the kind of reply I send:

"Hi XX,  Thank you for your response, however, it clearly appears that you never informed yourself of my original issue.

As a Superhost, I am, of course,  already well aware of all the information you sent me, so I find it quite insulting.

I don't need cut-and-paste explanations of what response rates encompass.

This is the type of response that leads to bad press for Airbnb CS.

Please read my original messages as to the issue I have encountered and respond accordingly to my specific issue.

Thank you for your time, I await your reply (I have been waiting now for 34 days for someone to address this competently)"

Well, @Sarah977, apparently @airbnb isn't happy with me right now.  They have blocked my home network so I cannot access the Airbnb app or their website via my ISP.  All I get is what you see in the screen shot below. (I can only access their site through cellular data or a VPN.)  I guess I've hit a nerve somewhere.  I've been very careful to block all names and emails (other than my own) so I would not violate any privacy rules.  Makes me wonder why they're so afraid of the truth being told? (Referencing my latest post: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Payout-Problems/m-p/1332352#M289499)  

After creating a post asking where the payout money could possibly be going, my  Internet service provider has been blocked so I cannot access Airbnb unless via cellular data or via a VPN.  Interesting.After creating a post asking where the payout money could possibly be going, my Internet service provider has been blocked so I cannot access Airbnb unless via cellular data or via a VPN. Interesting.

Julieanna