Be careful when using PayPal for payment

Denise1925
Level 1
Portland, OR

Be careful when using PayPal for payment

I had PayPal listed as my default payment on Airbnb.  On PayPal, I had a default credit card set.  Today, when I paid for a booking, instead of automatically linking to PayPal first, as was the process in days past,  the charge immediately went through.  Next, I received a payment notification from a credit card on my PayPal account that was not my default card and not the one I had intended to use for the Airbnb payment.  The card I wanted to use offers travel insurance.

I called PayPal and they claimed that it was the action of Airbnb that selected my other card. I don't see how this is possible but I see it in other posts in this forum.   I messaged Airbnb (no phone number available) and the bot reported that the only way to fix it was to cancel the reservation and rebook.  All in all I spent about an hour on the phone and online trying to resolve it.  I have now deleted PayPal as a form of payment on Airbnb.  Since I've been having these issues more frequently with PayPal, I will stop using their service.  Just wanted to give warning.

0 Replies 0